Bad Coil?? 81 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Coil?? 81 GS1100E

Went for a ride on saturday and the bike out of know where started missing pretty bad. I know its not the carb do to them having all of 100 miles on the rebuild. Spark plugs themselves are brand new aswell. Anyone know how to check the coil pack to see if its bad?

These coils are usually pretty stout. The problems end up somewhere else but related. Check the voltage at the connector to the coil and verify you have 12V. How old are the plug caps? Are they cracked? Did you verify you have spark on all 4 cylinders?

Don't assume that a "fresh carb rebuild" is not still the source of the problem.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      These coils are usually pretty stout. The problems end up somewhere else but related. Check the voltage at the connector to the coil and verify you have 12V. How old are the plug caps? Are they cracked? Did you verify you have spark on all 4 cylinders?

Don't assume that a "fresh carb rebuild" is not still the source of the problem.
      The wires could use replacing. I have yet to check spark. I will be testing everything tonight. Only reason i mentioned the carb rebuild is because the bike has been running perfect for the past few weeks since the carbs were reinstalled.

Comment

Check you charging system as well.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
        X