Turn Signal Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Problems

Im fairly new to the whole motorcycle stuff so heres my problem. I just bought my 1980 GS850 and need to get it inspected and such so I started to make sure my turn signals worked. I moved the switch over to the right and it worked, but when I moved it over to the left for the left turn signal to work it didn't work at all, neither the front or back left turn signal came on. I immediately went to see if the bulbs were out but none of them were. I started to notice that the flasher relay would tick for the right but not for the left. So I went out and got a new flasher relay ($60) and brought it home today but it still did the same thing, right turn signal works and the left doesn't. I'm hoping it isn't wiring (because I'm not good with wiring), but I'm starting to think that my turn signal switch is bad. Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ethan

Yes sounds like the switch

Comment

Where did you get a flasher for $60?

Hopefully not at any of the local auto parts stores, because NONE of them is compatible with your bike and its auto-cancelling turn signals.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Try cleaning out the the switch, they often get filthy just from use, clean the contacts in there with some DeOxit spray or take it completely apart and use some fine sandpaper on the contacts. Hopefully that'll fix it. Can't you buy any flasher relay for like $10 on these things?
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I went from shop to shop looking and looking for a flasher relay until one of the places I went to suggested that I go to a dealership that sells Suzuki's and such and I bought it through them directly from Suzuki (got a $10 discount on it). How do I get the signal switch out? is it just a couple of screws or something?

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            Try cleaning out the the switch, they often get filthy just from use, clean the contacts in there with some DeOxit spray or take it completely apart and use some fine sandpaper on the contacts. Hopefully that'll fix it. Can't you buy any flasher relay for like $10 on these things?

I can't imagine why anyone would use any sandpaper to clean contacts. Naval Jelly will clean whatever is on the contacts without damaging any metal in less than 15 min.

Comment

I got this far but i don't know what to do now. Do I need to take this plastic piece out because I couldn't really get it out
              Attached Files

Comment

If you had some DeOxit you could just flush it out a bit and work the switch back and forth.

Using an VOM meter you can confirm the operation right at the back on those solder joints.

Comment

Just fill it up with DeOxit, work the switch back and forth then dump out the DeOxit?

Comment

Definetely try the deoxit before you take it apart. If you do need to take it apart, there's a small screw hidden under those wires. But, be careful. Put the whole thing in a plastic bag before you pull that plastic plate out. There's some small springs and ball bearings in there that will get away from you. They are very hard to find on the garage floor. Ask me how I know.
                    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                    X