Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 GS1000 - where to mount a SH-775 R/R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000 - where to mount a SH-775 R/R?

I've just received my shiny new SH-775 R/R and now I'm faced with the next challenge - where to mount it?

There's not much real estate available... I'm running the original airbox, and being a 1979 model, it has a separate rectifier and regulator so the left hand side is rather full. The right hand side of the battery box has the self-cancelling control module for the indicators.

I'm guessing that the majority of SH-775 R/R owners fit them to post-1979 bikes where there is an OEM combination R/R that takes up less space.

Can anyone provide feedback (and hopefully a photo or two) on the neatest way to install the new R/R?

Thanks in anticipation.

Attached Files
    2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
    1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
    1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Looks like almost enough room after you remove the two separate devices.

Might have to move the single fuse holder, but that is minor.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Get a little creative and you can probably squeeze it in there. I'm not sure of the size of the 775 but this is a larger R/R from a Goldwing and I managed to squeeze it in along with the DynaIII and relay to run the ignition and small voltmeter. It's tight and I was concerned about airflow but after several years and number of long trip in hot weather all seems to be OK.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Thanks gents. The SH-775 is significantly larger than either the rectifier or regulator, especially when the bulk of the plugs are included. I was hoping (rather naively) for a tidy solution but that is not to be.

Comment

The self canceling turn signal box can be removed for the Sh-775 because it will fail on you sooner or later, no way to get around it. I removed mine and wired it for two flashers. I have gotten so used to using it manually that it is now second nature and it never fails or gets left on. the other tidy solution is a Compu-Fire 55402. It will fit where the old units are, probably better on the '78 than the '79 but there is space there for that size R/R.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eY...=w1262-h946-no
          Last edited by OldVet66; 07-15-2015, 07:03 PM.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

SH-775 now mounted

This info may be of interest for newbies or others contemplating installing an SH-775 R/R (in lieu of the original and separate rectifier and regulators) on their pre-1980 GS. I've now installed mine, without major surgery to the electrical mounting plate or the components on it.

In summary:
            The starter solenoid and main fuse box stayed put.
            The minor fuse box had to go, and was replaced by an inline glass fuse holder.
            The flasher relay was relocated.
            The R/R output fuse holder fits comfortably amongst the jumble.

P1000494.jpg
            Last edited by sealpup; 09-04-2015, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Yours is similar to the way I did mine, I cut one fin off the r/r, moved the flasher unit and dropped the solenoid, you can see all the mods I did in this photo, I think I slotted one of the r/r holes too but cant remember. anyway it was almost a straight fit and I think also managed to use the original backplate holes. I posted it up at the time.

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

So, maybe I'm way out in left field here, but I'm thinking of either:

A. Just recessing that electrical panel so that I have more clearance for custom side panels. You could put your new R & R in there, like with a 2nd bracket, or mount it to the backside of the existing panel.
                  OR
                  2. I think I may build a new panel that mounts to the frame horizontally under the seat, so that everything hangs upside down. That would buy you lots of room.

(I have a MUCH smaller battery than stock)

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                    Yours is similar to the way I did mine, I cut one fin off the r/r, moved the flasher unit and dropped the solenoid, you can see all the mods I did in this photo, I think I slotted one of the r/r holes too but cant remember. anyway it was almost a straight fit and I think also managed to use the original backplate holes. I posted it up at the time.

This looks like a clean set up. Anyone else have something different or advice on mounting a SH-775 on a 79 1000. Is there any room to mount it under the battery box? Thanks
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

If you are space limited and have the cash the Compufire is significantly smaller than an SH775 with connector.

I'm using a SSPB but footprint is the same as OEM for GS1100EZ/ED. The Compufire uses pigtail connectors not ones integral to the unit as the SH-775. These pigtails can be removed from the side cover or eliminated altogether.

In the install below, I have teh R/R in the stock location although I did have to move bolt holes and do some grinding on the back of the Compufire heatsink. Nothing that shows on the front.

Last edited by posplayr; 01-10-2016, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I've read about SH-775 units being mounted under the battery box of old 750's. I looked into doing the same thing on my '79 1000, and there just wasn't enough room between battery box and swingarm even with the bike on the centrestand. I'm sure the whole lot would have been crushed when the shocks were under load.

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
                          I've read about SH-775 units being mounted under the battery box of old 750's. I looked into doing the same thing on my '79 1000, and there just wasn't enough room between battery box and swingarm even with the bike on the centrestand. I'm sure the whole lot would have been crushed when the shocks were under load.
                          Thanks sealpup, and everyone else that posted to this thread. I think I have a good idea what I'm going to do now. 👍
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Like this:

The left hand bolt goes through a strap I joined to the existing plate using one existing bolt hole & one new one I made. There is a spacer to bring it forward to the same height as the fuse box fixing.

I re-solder & epoxy the back of my fuse boxes on these models now. Never had that problem again (although I've seen it twice before like this).
                            Last edited by salty_monk; 01-21-2016, 04:03 AM.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

On my 1000 I fitted my SH775 on the right side of the battery box, I first fitted a 8mm alloy plate to battery box and bolted it to that. Going to use a 25amp fuse on main live out of SH775 and earth to SPG + extra earth to reg/rec mount bolt.
                              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working...
                              X