Thoughts for a half decent multimeter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts for a half decent multimeter??

For years at work I used a fluke 87 but don't really want to spend several hundred bucks for one now.
    The HF ones do the job but I have had 20 or so lol..the ohms won't auto zero... then they only last 3 months any ways.
    I see sears has some but the reviews are mixed. I know you get what you pay for BUT TODAY YOU NEVER KNOW.. The high priced ones might just be a come on. I'd spend 50-75 if I had to.
    I'd just like it to last.

Why not get an 87 of your own?

etc., etc., etc.

I am still using a 77 that was retired from our test equipment inventory back about 20 years ago.
    It gets calibrated every year along with our current test equipment, but it's MINE.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hmmmm. I actually never searched for a used one...now I might take a look.
      They are built for a beating...

Comment

Mine came from ebay second hand years ago and has been excellent value, still going strong.

I have an Avo 8 in my shed some place, the best multi meter ever, you cant give them away these days.

Last edited by tatu; 10-10-2015, 07:58 PM.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Still can't beat a properly calibrated Simpson 260 analogue meter for use around the house. It may not be as accurate as today's digital models but still extremely useful. Great for a visual capacitance check if you ever need it. You can pick up a good used one for $25 and get a fairly decent calibration on it using some 1% resistors.

Yes I have a digital, I just find myself using it more often than than the DVOM.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I have an Avo 8 in my shed some place, the best multi meter ever, you cant give them away these days.

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Why not get an 87 of your own?

etc., etc., etc.

I am still using a 77 that was retired from our test equipment inventory back about 20 years ago.
              It gets calibrated every year along with our current test equipment, but it's MINE.

That's the way I decided to go. If you're going to shell out for an 87, I think it's worth a little extra to hold out for an 87v. Since these are flash-memory calibrated, and have no internal calibration pots, there should be no need for routine calibration -- ever -- except for commercial users whose employers need certification for one reason or another.

I got an 87V indistinguishable from brand new for something like $165. You have to keep an eye out, but patience pays off.

On a budget? You'll find nice 'retired' military 27/FM's in the $65 vicinity. They have a rabid fan base (for a meter!) and can double as an anvil when needed.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Still can't beat a properly calibrated Simpson 260 analogue meter for use around the house.
                Does it make you feel 15 again?

I mean, I get nostalgic just looking at a 260, but a mirrored analog scale for a guy who's post-cataract & needs multiple readers just to see my own wristwatch, well, nice clean DIGITS became affordable just in time! Next stop: talking meters that understand English.
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I’m on my second Sears Craftsman multimeter.
                  The first was analog & purchased presumably before quite a few forum members were born.
                  The second is digital auto-ranging.

If your intended purpose is stuff around the house & work on your bikes, then I would expect an auto-ranging Sears Craftsman in your $50-75 range to be just fine.

I would stay away from the cheapie <$30 units for the same reasons as those from HF.

Post a link if you have questions about specific multimeter.

Comment

For general automotive workshop use, I find the 30quid Lidl DVM perfectly adequate, and a step up from the chuckaway 7quid cheapies. If I want some connections ancient, I can always pull one of the mirrored analogue meters out of the drawer, but they don't get used in the workshop - they're not exactly delicate, but too much chance of them getting dropped or dropped on.
                    I might pick up an AVO for old times sake - like an old pal I haven't seen for years, kind of thing.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The $30 wal-mart ones work fine. I've had mine for over 5 years, I've thrown it, stepped on it, left it out in the snow, And it still works fine.
                      Unless you're an electrician or absolutely "obsessed" with having a good brand, you don't need to drop mega bucks.
                      Me personally, I usually don't bring expensive tools to a job unless absolutely necessary, things get broken, ruined or always end up walking.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                        a mirrored analog scale for a guy who's post-cataract & needs multiple readers just to see my own wristwatch, well, nice clean DIGITS became affordable just in time! Next stop: talking meters that understand English.
                        I am in the same boat!!

Comment

I have a craftsman multimeter my dad gave me for Christmas 10 years ago and it's on it's second battery and has never let me down

Comment

I am seeing around the forums that UNI-T seem to be decent ones. more robust than most EXTECH makes sears and they are all over.. unless I get a used fluke...I'm watching a few on fleebay
                            UT106_L.jpghttp://uni-trend.com/UT106.html#
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

s-l300.jpgThe Snap on guy found me a decently priced DVM It Is An INNOVA 3320.Small ,light ,and compact, It has a battery load tester 1.5v,6v,9v,and 12v, DC mA,DC10A,Condinuity beeper, Diode tester, AC mA, Ohms, AC V, 10 meg ohm, input DCV, Auto power off, A stand Or elastic band to hold in place while working with it. It rated highly with some independent testing as far as accuracy against several other brand names. The test leads that were plenty long enough and came with protective caps for the leads. web site www.iEquus.com I also have a Fluke for more sensitive readings and a SUNPRO automotive tester witch does not have AC v input so that is a draw back . But real sensitive when testing fuel injectors etc. I also own a Matco amp clamp when looking for parasitic draws or amperage out put with charging systems.. On the Ebay auction site The INNOVA 3320 sells for 26.99 with free shipping. Do some research and see how it compares to much higher priced DVM's
                              Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 10-11-2015, 11:12 AM.
                              sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                              X