wiring diagram question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring diagram question

Downloaded Bikecliff's full color wiring harness diagram for the 1980 GS1000G/GL. It differs a bit from the one in the factory service manual in that there is a notation on the diagram that says "modification". The drawing in the factory service manual has a separate regulator and rectifier while the Bikecliff's shows an integrated regulator/rectifier. Obviously the wiring will be a bit different.

My question is this... does the older wiring harness have the wires that were installed for a separate regulator and rectifier? Mine appears to have the old separate regulator and rectifier wires BUT has a combo reg/rec and it is obviously the original to the bike.

Just curious. TIA

Didn't they stop using the separate R/R in 79? Perhaps when your bike was assembled in 1980 they used an older harness.

Comment

The 1980 GS1000G/GL has a single R/R. The wiring diagram on the Bikecliff site has the modification for removing the loop through the headlight bucket from one of the stator legs already drawn in. It simply routes the three stator wires directly to the R/R. It's a very usefull mod that should be implemented, if not already.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        The 1980 GS1000G/GL has a single R/R. The wiring diagram on the Bikecliff site has the modification for removing the loop through the headlight bucket from one of the stator legs already drawn in. It simply routes the three stator wires directly to the R/R. It's a very usefull mod that should be implemented, if not already.
        The mod has already been done. Thanks!

Comment

Is this mod in the Stator Papers?
          1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
          1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
          1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
          1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Comment

Originally posted by oregonjake View Post
            Is this mod in the Stator Papers?
            Your bike does not have separate elements of the R/R but you do need to follow the GS Charging Health link.

Comment

Working...
            X