Neutral & Gear selector lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutral & Gear selector lights

I have a '77 GS550, which had a working gear indicator for a few miles, but now it displays a constant 8 to show all parts of the display are working, and my neutral light doesn't work.

I checked the bulb itself, but I noticed on a diagram of my bike that it has a shifter mechanism #39 http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...9595#sch262022

What is the easiest way to get to this? behind the front sprocket?

Yep, it's just above and to the right of the front sprocket, ideally placed to get covered in old chain lube, general road gunk etc. If you decide to remove it to clean the internal contact faces, you'll probably want to have a new O-ring on hand for reassembly.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

It will be above the front sprocket on the side of the casing; here's a view of my 550T after I removed it:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
        If you decide to remove it to clean the internal contact faces, you'll NEED to have a new O-ring on hand for reassembly.
        Fixed that for you Steve; the oil leak in my picture was because I didn't replace the oring. I have a new one just haven't had a chance to get to the garage to replace it.

The Oring is only a couple of dollars from your Suzuki dealer and is still used on some modern bikes
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I went ahead and dug into it while the O-ring is on order, cleaned the contacts but still have the [8] display on the gear indicator, still no neutral. Have good continuity throughout to the connector & +1 wire for the neutral. Must be between the cluster & the connector, will update.

Comment

Just went through this on my GS650 as it was missing the wires
            the neutral is a blue wire that comes up seperate from the gear wires. At the base of the gas tank or there about it has a bullet connection to another blue wire. This runs up to a Blue 6or8 pin connector then plugs into the display connector. FYI this acts as the negative / neutral of the circuit. When the pin touches the contact it completes the circuit. This of course is on my bike but might help you

Comment

Working...
            X