Need new flasher relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need new flasher relay

My flasher relay went out on my 81' 850. When I turn on the right signal the unit buzzes loudly and no lights come on. anyone on here have an affordable working one or know where I can get a cheap new one? I bought a generic matching 3 prong flasher at the auto parts store but it didn't do anything when plugged in so I guess its not compatible? Thanks in advance!

~Nate

But the left side blinkers work fine? You probably have a short in your wiring harness for the right lights that might be why your old one and the new one don't work.

Comment

Burned out bulbs?
      Which generic relay did you get?.....

I got a couple of the wrong ones too before I found the right one.

Comment

The bulbs/turn signal housings are brand new. the relay was working fine but today got jostled around a lot when I was fiddling with the battery and battery box. A wire short is possible but I figured with the relay buzzing when I have the right signal on it is likely a faulty relay. I would think with a wire short it just wouldn't do anything at all.

Here is the generic one I got that wont do anything.
        20160418_215106_zpsv8bwokkn.jpg

Comment

One more thing....make sure the battery is well charged. People get fooled by that all the time.
          That el13 is the one that ended up working for me. Lol
          The other 2 I tried nada. The bulbs on my aftermarket blinkers are smaller and draw less. The el13 was my solution.
          But yeah, put a charger on it and try that real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
            One more thing....make sure the battery is well charged. People get fooled by that all the time.
            That el13 is the one that ended up working for me. Lol
            The other 2 I tried nada. The bulbs on my aftermarket blinkers are smaller and draw less. The el13 was my solution.
            But yeah, put a charger on it and try that real quick.
            I hadn't thought of that. All the other lights are working well and when I have the bad original relay in the left signal still works just not the right. But as soon as I swap that el13 in it doesn't do anything. I'll give charging a try and see what happens.

Comment

If you use anything but a Suzuki flasher, you will lose your self-cancelling signals.

They might flash OK, but you will have to turn them off yourself.

You might be better off getting a 2-pin flasher and ignoring that third pin. That is a signal wire from the control unit to the stock flasher that tells it when to stop flashing. There is no other flasher available that can use that signal, so that pin is virtually useless unless you have an OEM flasher.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                If you use anything but a Suzuki flasher, you will lose your self-cancelling signals.

You might be better off getting a 2-pin flasher and ignoring that third pin. That is a signal wire from the control unit to the stock flasher that tells it when to stop flashing. There is no other flasher available that can use that signal, so that pin is virtually useless unless you have an OEM flasher.
                I'll stop by the parts store tomorrow and return this generic 3 prong and try a 2 prong I guess. self-cancelling isn't that big of a deal to me. Hopefully it works!

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post

Interesting. My self cancel doesn't work. The primary reason seems to be that the wires from the bar switch are cut. I've just picked up a different replacement switch with the number 374-6 on it. The same number is embossed on the control unit housing. The flasher is a battered three prong can. Maybe this thing can fly again.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    Interesting. My self cancel doesn't work. ... The flasher is a battered three prong can. Maybe this thing can fly again.
                    The stock flasher unit is rectangular, black and plastic.

What is the number on your can?
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

If one side is working but the other is not, then it's not the flasher relay that the problem. The relay is not side to side dependent. It doesn't which side is flashing. It only flashes dependent on load. The more current draw the faster it will blink. If it's just buzzing when on one side, then you likely have a short on that side.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                        The stock flasher unit is rectangular, black and plastic.

What is the number on your can?
                        Nothing apart from 12v 18-23W and it's two prong sitting in what looks like the original three prong plug which has one of the wires on one side missing. The flash speed is probably borderline high.
                        I have a new rectangular two prong flasher that works at a better speed but stops flashing over 2000 rpm.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                        X