Dash light probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash light probs

Just bought 1100e. Less than 5k miles. Super clean and 100% original except for paint and tires. Grips, tool kit, everything totally untouched. Bike runs and drives like it should but the brake light and tail light and battery light go off and on some times. I also noticed that the headlight gets a little brighter when i rev the engine. Also a small seep of oil on the front of the #3 cylinder but im scared to start cranking down bolts but its understandable that some may have loosened up over 35yrs. Any thoughts?

Welcome:

What year bike? Pictures?

82-83 have a idiot light check box that can go bad. If it is not grounded to oil check light can also cause problems. You should read the factory manual available for download at Bass cliff's website.

You should do a Quick test (see my signature). This will do a preliminary assessment of your charging system. You shoudl replace the R/R to Series if you have not already done so (SH775 or Compufire). Your stator may be salvageable but they usually burn due to the factory Shunt R/R (see GS stator in my signature). When you install it see GS Charging Health in the same place.

Have you checked the valves? They might have never been done. While in there you shoudl replace the o-rings on teh two inner head bolts. That can cause the seep you are describing.

Headlamp getting brighter is normal, as voltage usually rises from about 13V at idle to 14.5 at 4000 RPM(best case).

Comment

Hey thanks. Pulling the valve cover is above my skill set. Do u think just from the motor heating and cooling over the yrs could have work head gasket bolts loose over the yrs? Its an 82 by the way.

Comment

image.jpgTook windshield off

Comment

Originally posted by mj'sdad View Post
          Hey thanks. Pulling the valve cover is above my skill set. Do u think just from the motor heating and cooling over the yrs could have work head gasket bolts loose over the yrs? Its an 82 by the way.
          Sorry, I'm not going to guess about bolts coming loose when you have 35 year old gaskets and hardening of the o-rings which is absolutely the case. If you are going to ride it for 6 months to a year you don't need to do anything. If you plan to keep it you need to do some maintenance.

Comment

Battery dash light will be on all the time unless you have the original type battery which monitors electrolyte level.

Most of my idiot lights are on and off constantly. Since the actual lights work fine, I just ignore them.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
            X