Coil reading "am I missing something"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil reading "am I missing something"

Hi I have been taking some readings from the coils when both are disconnected I am getting battery voltage on both orange/white wires that feed the coils, when I disconnect one coil and leave the other connected I am getting a reading of one volt down on battery voltage this coil has a resistance of 4.5 ohm
    when I reverse the connections to check the other coil I get battery voltage this coil has a resistance of 4.1ohm
    Does this .4 ohm account for one volt drop and is the ohms reading to high on both coils?
    Thanks
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Your primary ohm readings look fine, the difference in ohm reading has no relation to the voltage drop, it's just the coils and again those readings are fine. If you are 1 volt lower than you battery voltage reading that 'might' be fine all depending on what your battery reading is. Personally if I get a voltage reading at the coils of any lower than 11 volts I put in a relay for the power to the coils so they get the full battery voltage. Don't forget to test your secondary ohm readings for your plug wires, that's the 2nd test of your coils.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks for the reply will check the ohms on the plug wires
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Working...
      X