No announcement yet.

Shim trading info??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Spoke with RapidRay. So all of my intake shims were at 2.75 and all my exhaust shims were 2.80, giving me no clearance. I tested the #1 exhaust clearance with the 2.75 shim from the exhaust side and it cleared at .002, perfect! So I am going to contact the shim trading deal on here and send out my 2.80's for 2.75's, and also get 2.70's for the intake valves.

Loving the motion pro tool btw!! I use a screw driver to keep it from slipping when pulling the outer shims.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Update: All intake shims are at 2.75 and need more clearance so I need 2.70.
      All exhaust valves are at 2.80 and after testing 2.75 I can clear .002 feeler guage through them. So exhaust valves need to be at 2.75.
      Ill reuse my 2.75's on exhaust and buy 4 new 2.70's for the intake.

Comment

If you are lucky, that is all it will take, but don't be surprised if you might also need a few 2.65s, maybe even a 2.60.

Just be sure to measure each one, don't assume that just because one of them took a 2.75 that all of them will need a 2.75.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          If you are lucky, that is all it will take, but don't be surprised if you might also need a few 2.65s, maybe even a 2.60.

Just be sure to measure each one, don't assume that just because one of them took a 2.75 that all of them will need a 2.75.

Got it. I tested the 2.75's in all 4 exhaust valves and they all fit the .002 feeler guage. I haven't checked the intake's at 2.70 yet, I was simply assuming since the exhausts went down by 5 thousandths. The local suzuki dealership sells them at 9 bucks a pop so Maybe Ill grab them and return them if I need smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Caferob View Post
            Got it. I tested the 2.75's in all 4 exhaust valves and they all fit the .002 feeler guage. I haven't checked the intake's at 2.70 yet, I was simply assuming since the exhausts went down by 5 thousandths. The local suzuki dealership sells them at 9 bucks a pop so Maybe Ill grab them and return them if I need smaller.
            9 bucks is actually not too bad. They're 16 here, if you can find them at all.
            Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Caferob View Post
              Send the ones you'll no longer need to the shim club as a donation. That way you'll be ready for the next time you need shims.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                Send the ones you'll no longer need to the shim club as a donation. That way you'll be ready for the next time you need shims.
                Update: I installed the 2.75's in the exhaust valves and the 2.70's in the intake side. Everything clears at .002. Looking good. The old gasket was really bad so I cleaned it up and added a little sealant to the new one. Bolted down the valve cover and everything looks good!

Now installing Duane's RR he sent me. Hopefully have some good news about how she runs by tomorrow.

Comment

You shouldn't have used gasket sealer on the valve cover gasket. The RTV tends to migrate into the engine internals and can gunk things up. All you need to do was to smear a little grease on one side of the gasket to keep it from sticking and you could have used it for several adjustment cycles.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    You shouldn't have used gasket sealer on the valve cover gasket.
                    I learned this now, stupid idea but its burning off any access and im going to flush the oil. Any suggestions for a good place to pick up oil filters?

Comment

NAPA has them and are usually in stock.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I always use a small amount of sealant between the gasket and the valve cover, and a tiny bit at the half moons. I use a little bit of high temp permatex anti seize between the head and the gasket. I guarantee I've gotten more crap into the engine from scraping gasket material off of the head than I ever will from using sealant correctly. Its always a great disappointment to me when I pull off a valve cover on a bike previously owned by a member of the no sealant set. Even sealant helps separate the gasket from the metal compared to dry.

How did your scraping go, Robert?
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Scraping went well. Got most of it off and cleaned it up a bit. no leaks. Im going to install the carbs today, i had them off to shim the needle, see if that helps before getting a jet kit. Im also going to line up the marks on the martek 440 and the notch on the case. See if that helps as well. Little things that can be put back if makes th bike worse.

Comment

Get Steve's shim spreadsheet !!! It's free, and will save you much time and headache the next time you do this !
                            1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                            1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                            1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                            Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Working...
                            X