SH775 wire gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH775 wire gauge

Hey everyone, I can't seem to find an answer to my question by searching, so I was curious what ya'll ended up doing. The 3 stator wires that go to the SH775 are a significantly smaller gauge than the 3 on the R/R. How did you manage the step down? Same story with the positive going out.

Bundle, solder, and heat wrap? Stepdown crimps?

Thanks!

Originally posted by StratJeff View Post
    The 3 stator wires that go to the SH775 are a significantly smaller gauge than the 3 on the R/R.
    This is a little confusing, but I will try to interpret what you meant, not what you wrote. It is confusing because the SH775 IS an R/R.

Well, there were no wires with any of the 775 regulators that I have installed, I was free to put whatever size wire I wanted. There isn't that much current that is going to be going through them, so 16-gauge wire is plenty adequate. The wires coming out of the sator are about that size, might be 16-, might be 18-gauge.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If he also bought the direct plug in Triumph adapter, the wires may be a larger gauge on it.
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Those wires are a larger gauge. I soldered mine and used shrink wrap tubes. Works like a charm.

Comment

I had purchased the Triumph plugs (which come with 12g wiring) for the 775 as well, but I ultimately decided to clip the (new Rick's) stator wires to a proper length and solder/crimp/shrink wrap each lead with the proper connector and hook them up. I'll probably fill the plug shell with silicone to ensure things are waterproof.

For the R/R ground lead, I used 12g wire and ran to a Single Point Ground. I used the factory harness 12v lead from the stock R/R to power the 775.
          Last edited by Cassius086; 03-17-2017, 09:02 AM.
          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

I have the Triumph connector too and crimped bullet connectors onto the R/R side that fit the wire and then just forced them into the female bullets coming from the stator. Maybe it's not ideal and looks a little funny but they're in there good and 2+ years with no issues.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Slide a piece of shrink tube over one wire, strip both wires, connect both wire together with a western union or an inline splice, straighten the connection, solder the joint, slide the shrink tube over the connection and apply heat.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

12g is overkill for the wires to the stator - it's (relatively) high voltage, low current electricity.

Similar to above, I used 12g wire for the DC side.

Comment

Working...
                X