Oops!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops!

I smashed a stator wire right past the rubber grommet/plug under the stator cover. Can this repaired by a splice? If all seals like it should, I guess it will be right outside the "oily" area. Would oil on a bare wire be a certain short? Also, would running the bike like this for a while do more damage to the stator or R/R? I probably ran it a couple of test drives of about 10 miles each plus ran it parked to do some of the diagnostic tests. Stator leg to stator leg resistance looked good, Stator leg to engine ground looked bad (.3-.6 ohms) and dc voltage didn't show anything although I was charging at 13.2 volts on the test drives (4.5K rpms.) I'm thinking things were looking worse, the longer I ran it in this condition.
    smashed stator wire.jpg
    Last edited by 1948man; 06-03-2017, 03:16 PM.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
    I smashed a stator wire right past the rubber grommet/plug under the stator cover. Can this repaired by a splice? If all seals like it should, I guess it will be right outside the "oily" area. Would oil on a bare wire be a certain short? Also, would running the bike like this for a while do more damage to the stator or R/R? I probably ran it a couple of test drives of about 10 miles each plus ran it parked to do some of the diagnostic tests. Stator leg to stator leg resistance looked good, Stator leg to engine ground looked bad (.3-.6 ohms) and dc voltage didn't show anything although I was charging at 13.2 volts on the test drives (4.5K rpms.) I'm thinking things were looking worse, the longer I ran it in this condition.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]51359[/ATTACH]
    Lead to lead output tests should be VAC and around 75VAC @ 5,000 rpm.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

You'll be fine splicing it. Just keep water and salt sealed out.

PS: oil is an insulator

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
        Lead to lead output tests should be VAC and around 75VAC @ 5,000 rpm.
        Ooops again. What about the resistance of stator leg to engine ground. Could that possibly be helped on all 3 legs by repairing that one wire?
        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          You'll be fine splicing it. Just keep water and salt sealed out.

PS: oil is an insulator
          Thanks, I will definitely try it.
          1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
          X