Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight gets brighter when I rev...

Hi all,

Quick question, I have a 1981 GS450 and my headlight gets brighter when I rev the throttle. Is this bad? Should I worry about this? Should my R/R be ensuring that this doesn't happen? The bike seems to be running fine and the battery is not losing a charge from what I see (found a short that I previously posted about and fixed that).

Thank you!

That sounds normal. You should probably get a voltmeter and check the charging at the battery at various revs - 13v at idle and up to 14.5 at 5k rpm is normal.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

As hillsy says it's normal for the light to brighten as revs are brought up from idle. It's part of my starting off checks. It should brighten and then cut off. If it's still brightening appreciably over 3000 rpm I would suspect the voltage is going too high because the regulator is not limiting it properly.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Yep, a voltmeter is a rather important tool to have. IDEALLY, it would be nice to have a full 14+ volts at all times, but the way these systems work, it is inevitable that charging ability is less at idle. It is somewhat common for voltage at idle to be less than 13, but it should rise dramatically when the engine speed is raised above 1500 RPM, and should be over 14 by the time you get to 2500-3000 RPM. Although Suzuki feels that 15+ volts is OK, that tends to wreak havoc with a wet-cell lead-acid battery, so keeping it under 14.5 volts is much better.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So, I actually just realized it’s the other way around. My lights dim when I rev the throttle. Any insight?

Comment

Originally posted by benjo View Post
            So, I actually just realized it’s the other way around. My lights dim when I rev the throttle. Any insight?
            Here is some onsite: do the Quick Test.

Comment

If the light gets dimmer when you rev, I'd suspect the you're not getting more voltage. The battery quick test link in posplayr's signature will test for this.
              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Gents,

After much technical and scientific testing and analysis, I found that.....a grounding wire was loose!

Thanks for all the insight though!
                Benjo

Comment

The phrase, ' He has a good grounding in bike maintenance', comes precisely from this.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                  X