Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way possible to hook up wiring so it sparks without any brake sensors or keys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way possible to hook up wiring so it sparks without any brake sensors or keys?

I have a gs550 thats been converted to a trike and i was just wondering how i could hook up the wiring so only the start button works and it sparks kinda like a dirt bike where u kick it over and it sparks theres no sensors or anything. My harness is all chopped up from previous owner so im not sure if im missing wires or if there are extra wires.

Originally posted by Nickrockhead550 View Post
    I have a gs550 thats been converted to a trike and i was just wondering how i could hook up the wiring so only the start button works and it sparks kinda like a dirt bike where u kick it over and it sparks theres no sensors or anything. My harness is all chopped up from previous owner so im not sure if im missing wires or if there are extra wires.
    Google bobber or cafe wiring diagram and make your own harness. Those guys are usually trying to eliminate everything not needed.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Yes, it's probably possible, but ... is it practical?

In a word, NO. Unless you have a motocross trike or a racetrack-only trike, you will need to have some lights. How many lights will be up to you and the state in which the bike (trike) is registered. Those lights will require some electricity. That electricity comes from the charging system on the bike. The output of that system varies greatly, depending on engine speed. A voltage regulator will keep it from getting too high, but idling speed while waiting for a traffic light will be too low, and your lights will be very dim or not work at all. And, ... if you want your start button to work, you will obviously need to have a battery.

What year is your 550? If it's '80 or newer, you are stuck with the starter button. If it's a '79 or older, you at least have the option of using the kick starter.

If you have an '80 or newer, you have electronic ignition controlling the coils. There are sensors involved, they need power.
      If you have a '79 or older, you have points controlling the current to the coils, which would be easier to deal with.

There are many other arguments to keep your stock system, but we don't know exactly what bike you have, so it's pointless to go over all of them. However, pictures of this trike are somewhat mandatory. Would be nice to see what you have.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I wouldnt be driving it on road this is strictly an off road trike. I have hooked up just the pickup coil the cdi and the plug coils but still have no spark. The pickup coils were at 600 ohms and the plug coils were 4.4 ohms. I can make it spark if i hook a battery up to the coils but im not shre if the pickup coil is bad or the cdi. Its an 82

Comment

29133499_1081799648649499_6382758986009018368_n.jpg there is no 12v going to the coils either if that helps

Comment

If you have no power going to the coils, it won't matter what else you have connected, it simply won't fire.

From the battery, you will need some sort of switch, even if it's just the kill switch, but you NEED some way to cut the power. From there, the switched power needs to go to the ignitor (it's not a "CDI") and the coils. The pickups need to be on the crank to trigger the ignitor.

Very interesting trike conversion. What kit did you use for the rear end?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the info got it to spark, i picked it up as a trike but it looks like a chinese atv rear end and atc 250r front end

Comment

Working...
              X