1982 GS550L Grounding Points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550L Grounding Points?

Any chance anyone can send or post a PHOTO of the wiring underneath both side panels?
    I just got my 1982 project bike home which was was partially disassembled by the previous owner working on carbs
    I have NO idea where the ground points are for all of the loose grounds from the wiring harnesses. He unscrewed everything!

Sorry, I havent got a 550 but on mine, under the side covers, any black-with-white-stripe wires (these are the "ground wires") with rings just attach to any solid bolt nearby within easy reach-even the one holding the component itself on. That is, If your bike is like mine, these "components" all bolt to a steel plate under the side cover and this steel plate itself is bolted to the frame....(and...the frame is bolted to the engine and the engine is connected to the battery's negative terminal)

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      Sorry, I havent got a 550 but on mine, under the side covers, any black-with-white-stripe wires (these are the "ground wires") with rings just attach to any solid bolt nearby within easy reach-even the one holding the component itself on. That is, If your bike is like mine, these "components" all bolt to a steel plate under the side cover and this steel plate itself is bolted to the frame....(and...the frame is bolted to the engine and the engine is connected to the battery's negative terminal)
      Agreed, black with white strike is also ground on my bike and the ones with rings need to be bolted somewhere. Another clue is on the wiring diagram where it'll show the ground symbol at various points.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

I have NO idea where the ground points are for all of the loose grounds from the wiring harnesses. He unscrewed everything!
        On my bikes and I think on 550s too, there's generally only TWO ground wires with rings on them that come out of the harness....one, comes out of the harness up near the headlight and bolts to the frame (not to the forks) anywhere at or near the horn...the other is further back and the length of it will indicate whereabouts a bolt to the frame should be used....the rest of them are going to be bullet connectors (female I think) or small spade connectors that fit into plastic "multi-connectors".

The wiring diagram is a little confusing because it shows this "headlight bucket ground wire" well back on the harness but this is for clarity-note that all the diagrammed components forward of it are actually on handlebars and near the headlight...

If the previous owner has chopped all the connectors off, you have a bit of a challenge there!
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-01-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Bolted them to any frame point! Everything seems to work fine (except the idle) but electrically it all seems A-OK!

Comment

good news! Now to nag-(as much to remind myself)- but do polish (with a fine abrasive) the metal bits where anything grounds...ie-as little rust under as you can manage without obsessing.

Comment

Working...
            X