78 GS750E "No Spark"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Buy the one Jordan posted. Probably will not find cheaper.

edit: Ad says it’s a stock image. Maybe hold off unless seller can confirm with a pic of the actual top fin with the white lettering.
    Oh, didn't notice that. Sounds sketchy!

Ebay reminded me that I've bought from the store before, but I can't remember if I got my SH775 from them.
    Last edited by hannibal; 05-26-2020, 04:06 PM.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

PSN is a trusted source as far as I'm concerned. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thank you all very much!
        1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Here's one for $79 new. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-401...MAAOSwtilb5jpn

Important feature in the printing in white on the top fin. It must say SH775AA (I think the other variant is SH775BA ??, but there's no difference). If it doesn't have that, it's not genuine. If you have doubt, post a pic of it here and someone will let you know if it's real or not. You do not want a knock off. I didn't see any used ones but didn't look long.

The Triumph connector is T2500676

On the triumph connector you would keep the ends that plug in to the SH775. Cut off the other end. Opinions vary on the connection of choice for connection the red wire to your harness and the 3 wires off the other side to your stator. Black that's on the same side as the red goes to ground.

Nessism did a nice diagram to show the connection very simply. He also buys use SH775s, tests them and resells them to members at a good price. Hit him up and see if he's got any.
          Hey Rich,

I have the unit in and it checks out as non counterfit. The wire connector came today so if you would be kind enough to direct me to a wiring diagram for a 1978 GS750 I'd appreciate it!

Thank you!
          Shred
          1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

It’s near the back of this factory service manual found on BikeCliffs website. Use that for reference. Nessism made a nice diagram to show this. I’ll try to find it but here’s the jist of it. All 3 wires from the stator go to the 3 black wires from the left side of the SH775/ Triumph connector. Left side has 3 wires. It doesn’t matter which stator wire to which RR left side wire. They’re all the same. This will leave out a W/G wire and a W/R wire that go to the headlamp bucket, make a loop and come back. Tape those up and tuck them away. They’re no longer needed (never were?)

Right side of the RR/triumph connector has 2 wires. Black one goes to ground (solenoid mount bolt is a good place for that and other grounds, then one hefty ground wire to Battery -. Opinions differ on the validity is a single point ground(SPG). I use one. The reddish brown wire from the RR/Triumph connector goes to the red wire that was originally connected to your original Rectifier. It should have a fuse in its line. Don’t cut that off.

Those are the best instructions I can come up with. I am by no means an expert. I did this exactly 1 time. Posplayr, Steve, Nessism are the guys to follow. Hopefully one of them will chime in if I’ve gotten something wrong

Here’s Nessism’s diagram
            SH775 Install by nessism, on Flickr
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-11-2020, 05:34 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

It’s near the back of this factory service manual found on BikeCliffs website. Use that for reference. Nessism made a nice diagram to show this. I’ll try to find it but here’s the jist of it. All 3 wires from the stator go to the 3 black wires from the left side of the SH775/ Triumph connector. Left side has 3 wires. It doesn’t matter which stator wire to which RR left side wire. They’re all the same. This will leave out a W/G wire and a W/R wire that go to the headlamp bucket, make a loop and come back. Tape those up and tuck them away. They’re no longer needed (never were?)

Right side of the RR/triumph connector has 2 wires. Black one goes to ground (solenoid mount bolt is a good place for that and other grounds, then one hefty ground wire to Battery -. Opinions differ on the validity is a single point ground(SPG). I use one. The reddish brown wire from the RR/Triumph connector goes to the red wire that was originally connected to your original Rectifier. It should have a fuse in its line. Don’t cut that off.

Those are the best instructions I can come up with. I am by no means an expert. I did this exactly 1 time. Posplayr, Steve, Nessism are the guys to follow. Hopefully one of them will chime in if I’ve gotten something wrong

Here’s Nessism’s diagram
              SH775 Install by nessism, on Flickr
              Thanks Rich!!!
              1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

Originally posted by Shred Astaire View Post
                Hey Rich,

The wire connector came today so if you would be kind enough to direct me to a wiring diagram for a 1978 GS750 I'd appreciate it!

Thank you!
                Shred
                Someone posted a really nice color diagram for the 8V 750 among others, I can't find the post. I downloaded the diagram - it's so much clearer than the B/W factory effort. Maybe someone else remembers where it came from....
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Thanks Rich!!!
                  Hey Rich,

Here is what I'm looking at

Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.

Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.

The side cover fits fine. In the second image the center yellow wire is coming from the old voltage regulator. I know that it is now redundant and not needed. I know the three yellows from the stator go to the light gray connector and I'll cut and splice those with electrical splicers. Do you see in the first image the three ground wires going to the negative terminal on the battery???? The thick black wire comes from the solenoid and the other two white and black striped ones (2) I have no idea.
                  Last edited by Shred Astaire; 06-12-2020, 11:47 AM.
                  1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

The black wires with the white stripes are all ground wires from the harness. I THINK (not an expert) it’s ok to have them all on the - battery terminal. But for me, I like to have only one lug on each battery terminal, except for the lugs for my battery tender plug. Technically, the battery tender negative lug could go on the SPG or other frame mounted bolt, but I like them on the battery and think it's OK. I have all the ground wires including the black from the right side of the RR (bottom one in your second pic) and a thicker black wire that goes to the engine case all mounted to a single point ground (SPG) that is one of the solenoid mounting screws. Then one thick Black wire from the SPG to the -battery terminal.

SPG

Engine Ground Wire. I BELIEVE (again, not an expert) that all GSs have a ground bolt in this general location.
                    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-12-2020, 12:19 PM.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Thanks Rich!!!
                      Hey Rich,

Here is the update. The left red wire going left from the (yellow) splice goes to the main harness. The center red wire goes up to the battery. I have a third red wire coming from the back harness that I don't know where to connect it.

Thank you,

Shred
                      1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

I’m attaching what I believe is a good representation of tour bikes wiring diagram, with the separate Regulator and rectifier from the manual. The red wire originally connected to your Rectifier should connect to the Red wire coming from Your new SH775, keeping the in-line fuse. I really don’t know about the others. I’m stumped.

There’s some stuff in your pick I don’t understand. That yellow splice, and the black connector that the red wire from the yellow splice feeds.
                        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-13-2020, 03:02 PM.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I’m attaching what I believe is a good representation of tour bikes wiring diagram, with the separate Regulator and rectifier from the manual. The red wire originally connected to your Rectifier should connect to the Red wire coming from Your new SH775, keeping the in-line fuse. I really don’t know about the others. I’m stumped.

There’s some stuff in your pick I don’t understand. That yellow splice, and the black connector that the red wire from the yellow splice feeds.
                          No worries, it's simple. The black connector is the original end to the trimph connector you told me to cut off. The red wire with the fuse was never connected to the original R/R now it's part of the splice that includes the red to the main harness and the redish brown wire from the 775. It was a stand alone directly to the battery before. The red one on the far right was originally connected to the stator.

It doesn't mean the original owner had it right.
                          Last edited by Shred Astaire; 06-13-2020, 03:53 PM.
                          1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

No I guess the OP definitely did not have it right if he had a red attached to the Stator. Unfortunately I can not in good conscience attempt to guide you further. This is as far as my limited knowledge can get you. You’ll have to get other help to help you undo and make right what the OP did. Use the wiring diagram.

Anyone else following along and able or willing to throw your 2 cents in, please do.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

No I guess the OP definitely did not have it right if he had a red attached to the Stator. Unfortunately I can not in good conscience attempt to guide you further. This is as far as my limited knowledge can get you. You’ll have to get other help to help you undo and make right what the OP did. Use the wiring diagram.

Anyone else following along and able or willing to throw your 2 cents in, please do.
                              No worries Rich! It's all good brother!!! I'll get this.

Thank you for you bringing me this far!!

Shred
                              1978 Suzuki GS 750 EC

Comment

I do see a mistake on the wiring diagram. I’m sure this happens. First one I’ve found. The wire marked Y/G coming out or the fuse that’s on the red wire coming from the Regulator. That Y/G should be on the wire to it’s left that is the signal wire to the solenoid. The mismarked wire should be R (red)
                                Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                                X