Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How/what to inspect before buying a used GS500E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How/what to inspect before buying a used GS500E?

I know this is a question better suited for a general motorcycle forum rather than a GS specific site, but I've got my heart set on a GS500E for my first bike (will be buying hopefully within the next week or two) & there are 6 of them for sale within about a 2 hours drive. I don't have anyone mechanically inclined to come along with me to help make sure the bike is in good working order & need to learn at least the basics on my own anyway, so I was wondering if anyone had a general list of what to inspect & how to inspect it. I know very little about mechanics in general & much less about bike-specific mechanics. A video would be ideal but any help is greatly appreciated. All I know is to listen for strange noises from a cold start-up & check the fluid levels.

First.... http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php

Second...

There's nothing special about the GS500. The bike has been, for the most part, unchanged since 1989. There's HUGE aftermarket support for them. They're stupendous beginner's bikes...so much so that a lot of people who start on them never really "outgrow" them. They're cheap and easy to maintain. Just an all around great bike.

Look for obvious stuff...crash damage, mostly. The frame and swingarm are both steel...look for rust. Make sure everything works properly...brakes, especially. Look for oil leaks and odd wear and tear. Nothing too special, though.

Comment

Working...
    X