Speedometer Gear and Grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Gear and Grease

When I worked with Tkent on Monday to get my bike running, the speedometer measured the speed for a minute and then quit working. When I put it back on the bike some time ago, I put some of my lithium grease in it. Is that grease okay to use or should I have used something else? As a troubleshooting measure, should I take it off the bike, clean out all of the grease, and then redo it?

I know some people say I don't need the speedometer but I'd much rather have it. Thanks.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    When I worked with Tkent on Monday to get my bike running, the speedometer measured the speed for a minute and then quit working. When I put it back on the bike some time ago, I put some of my lithium grease in it. Is that grease okay to use or should I have used something else? As a troubleshooting measure, should I take it off the bike, clean out all of the grease, and then redo it?

I know some people say I don't need the speedometer but I'd much rather have it. Thanks.
    You haven't said why the speedo quit working. Was it a problem with the sending unit, the cable, the gauge itself?

You can tell if the cable is in one piece by pulling it out of the cable housing, and looking. It should slide right in and out, after you unscrew the housing from the bottom of the speedo gauge up at the instrument cluster - or, unscrew the cable housing at the bottom where it connects to the sending unit, and pull it out from that end. When you re-insert the cable into its housing, grease it by hand or use spray-type cable lube (which is also grease anyway)

You can tell if the gauge is working - at least nominally - by twirling the bottom end of the speedo cable (the inner cable itself, not the outer housing) by hand, while it is unattached from the front wheel sending unit (the little gearbox on the axle that powers the speedo cable). Or, just wait until you have cleaned/lubed/reinstalled the sending unit, and then test it by a test-ride or by spinning the front wheel with the bike jacked up so the front wheel is off the ground.

But it sounds like you are assuming the problem was with your sending unit. Uninstall, disassemble, clean with solvent, re-grease, re-assemble, re-install. Yes, lithium grease should be fine in that location. It is not a high-pressure or high-temperature application and you want something that will not restrict it from rotating, so lightweight lithium grease is fine.

Even if you don't care what speed you're going, you need the speedo to be working for your odometer to work. You do want to keep track of how many miles you put on your bike don't you?

Comment

Hey thanks MikeJ. I posted it in the what have you wrenched on today thread this afternoon. The cable itself busted at the end into the gauges. Installed a new one today and it looks to be working just fine right now. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know.

And yes, I wanted it back because of the odometer part - I don't have a fuel gauge.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

FWIW I packed mine with marine grease. When I eventually get back on the road again (my guess is 3 to 6 months minimum), I'll find out if it's any good or not.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

A factor seldom mentioned on this subject is weather.

If you pack the sheath with grease there is a good chance of breaking the drive connection or twisting the cable until it breaks.

Why? If the weather is very cold the grease gets very thick, and the cable cannot turn easily, so the extra torque to drive it breaks the small pieces, or twists the inner cable.

It is usually best to first oil the sheath, then the inner cable, and finally draw the cable through a blob of grease so there is a light coating along th length.

This allows maximum freedom of movement as well as long-term lubrication.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I'd never thought of that, but then again it doesn't get that cold where I am so probably not an issue.

Food for thought though in different climates for sure!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I have a nasty screeching coming from my front wheel over 40MPH, and I am thinking now that it is related to the speedo. I hope to get the bike running tomorrow after a year of sitting, then tackle the screeching. It's rhythmic and speeds/slows with the bike's speed. At 55 it is practically earsplitting solid screech, like metal on metal. So my question is, can I lube the right part without removing the front wheel? Sounds like I can do the inner cable by removing it from the sheath, what about the rest of it? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kfholler View Post
                I have a nasty screeching coming from my front wheel over 40MPH, and I am thinking now that it is related to the speedo. I hope to get the bike running tomorrow after a year of sitting, then tackle the screeching. It's rhythmic and speeds/slows with the bike's speed. At 55 it is practically earsplitting solid screech, like metal on metal. So my question is, can I lube the right part without removing the front wheel? Sounds like I can do the inner cable by removing it from the sheath, what about the rest of it? Thanks!
                You're probably better off starting a new thread for this question, I would remove parts of the speedo until the noise dissapears and then youll know what part caused it. Also, metal on metal screeching is probably going to leave a mark on something.

Comment

Working...
                X