front end whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front end whine

Hi guys. I'm posting this here because I'm not really sure what's causing it. Searches didn't turn up anything similar, but I'm probably using the wrong terminology. Apologies if this has been beaten to death in the past.

A few weeks ago I had the front wheel off for a new tire. Everything went back together just fine, or so I thought, but I haven't had time for the bike until today. So it's been sitting since then.

This morning I went for a short ride and there's a noise that seems to be coming from the front wheel, though it's hard to tell precisely. The best way I can describe it is an oscillating whine. It almost sounds like the reverse gear on a compact car with a manual transmission. Wind noise drowns it out above 30 mph, but the oscillation, or frequency, increases as speed increases and vice-versa. From a stop, the noise will start all at once at about 15 mph. Coming to a stop the noise gradually tapers off until the bike isn't moving.

Since I was headed to the local bike shop this morning anyway, I figured I'd poke my head into the service bay and ask about it. Of course, the noise had stopped by the time I got there. It started again as I pulled out of their parking lot. Go figure.

Any thoughts? I'm all ears.

Have you checked to see if maybe the speedometer gear or cable is too dry? How about maybe the axle needing greased? Bearings? I'd almost say there are quite a few choices there so could you put the front end up, remove the brake calipers to eliminate that option, and spin the wheel as quickly as possible? May need a helper but it will give you an idea of how it happens?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Is the tire rubbing because you put a spacer in the wrong place? Are the brakes hanging?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi,

Is the tire rubbing because you put a spacer in the wrong place? Are the brakes hanging?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        +1

That was my first thought, as well.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry about the delay responding. I got called away. Anyway, I'll try to take the wheel off and put it back on within the next few days. I'll post some photos if it's still making the noise.

Comment

I thought I'd follow up on this, since I got a few helpful replies. This all started with a wheel removal and I assumed that was the culprit. I pulled the wheel again and put it back on, really paying attention to how everything goes together, but it didn't help any. After that I put a Plexifairing 3 on hoping for some winter riding, which never materialized. Over the winter we moved to a new house and the bike sat in a friend's shed.

Fast forward to last week. Finally rode her home and noticed the whine was really loud. It was much quieter after removing the windshield, so I disconnected the speedo cable and it was gone! Problem solved. Who needs a speedo, anyway?

Just kidding.

I'll lube it up tonight or tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again, everyone.

Comment

Did you also check to make certain that you installed the tabs from the speedo drive into the slots in the front hub?
              Also, your speedometer drive itself may be on the way out. Try to remove the gauges and turn them over to lubricate the speedo and tach drives.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
              X