1980 GS100G Upper End needs rebuilt, Need Mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS100G Upper End needs rebuilt, Need Mechanic

I have a 1980 GS 1000G, it runs ok but I can tell it needs the upper end rebuilt, I would like to find a reliable mechanic in the south east Michigan area. If you know anyone please let me know. Thanks, Chris

If it runs OK, why the rebuild?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Head gasket is leaking it looks like. Maybe Chuck or Dale know someone?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The Head gasket is on to do list this winter or spring. Its just that it seems that it should have more power than it does. I have been trough the carbs, also blows a little smoke when cold and can hear a little slapping coming from the top of the motor. Will a loose upper end cause significant power loss?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris48062 View Post
          The Head gasket is on to do list this winter or spring. Its just that it seems that it should have more power than it does. I have been trough the carbs, also blows a little smoke when cold and can hear a little slapping coming from the top of the motor. Will a loose upper end cause significant power loss?
          A little smoke when cold is most likely worn valve guide seals. Not a real big deal. A little noise in the top end? Valve lash adjustment.

"I have been trough the carbs"

Did you do a complete teardown, soak, rebuild and adjustment, synchro on the the carbs? What do you mean by "been through the carbs"? Are your airbox and intake boots in good shape? Wiring in good shape? Good spark plugs? Have you done a compression test?
          If your head gasket is leaking that can cause power loss due to loss of compression in that area. When the head is removed for replacement of the head gasket I'd make sure it's all good before putting the engine back together, but I wouldn't just do a top end overhaul until all my bases have been covered,

Comment

Probably not much. Check the compression yet? The little smoke when it's cold is likely valve stem seals, pretty easy to fix if you have the head off to fix the gasket.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

"Did you do a complete teardown, soak, rebuild and adjustment, synchro on the the carbs?"

Yes I have done all that, I think I will start with the gasket and valve guides, then go from there. Your right i don't want to rebuild the upper end unless its absolutely necessary. Thank you for all your advice ! Is there a good online resource for parts?

Comment

I'm not sure if I would do the head gasket without doing the base gasket under the cylinder block. along with it. I'm planning on doing this job on one of mine, and frankly, I'm not looking forward to it.

At least you can do it without pulling the motor out of the frame.

Not a bad looking old ride, by the way.
                Last edited by 850 Combat; 11-01-2010, 11:41 AM.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Chris48062

You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my little website and in your "mega-welcome" (parts, guides, tips, tricks, manuals, etc). Let me share some more GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Chris48062 View Post
                    I have a 1980 GS 1000G, it runs ok but I can tell it needs the upper end rebuilt, I would like to find a reliable mechanic in the south east Michigan area. If you know anyone please let me know. Thanks, Chris
                    If your going to have the head gasket done you should go ahead and do the hole top end. If you don’t mind pulling your motor and shipping it, I’ll do it at my bike shop the right way. No short-cuts, no used parts, and no bull-crap. $65 hour.
                    http://www.panhandlepowersports.com/

Comment

Zip code 48062? Richmond Mich... I drive through it every day.

I don't know anyone that I would recommend right off hand because I've always done my own work. possibly warren Honda-Suzuki? I know Chuck has had work done by them in the past.

my plates full for the foreseeable future, but are you willing to do the work yourself? do you have a place to work on it? I might be able to lend a hand and get you going in the right direction if needed.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I know a good mechanic in Allen Park. That might be too far though.

Comment

try calling STEVE TYNER..he was down b y Metro airport last i knew..top notch guy on all kinds of bikes..jack of all trtades kinda guy. 734 368 5106
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                          X