doing a valve check, quick questions ,w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doing a valve check, quick questions ,w/pics

can i rotate engine without shims? im thinking no, but thought id ask.

also, iv check all clearances and only one is in spec. its intake #2 and its on the tight side, so ill be adjusting it too. all others are less that .04mm. the .04mm feeler is the smallest i have. this bike is has 16000 miles and never had a valve check. i was surprised all of them would be tight. spec is .03 to .08 id like to get thme all on the loose side.

the one shim that i did pull was exhaust #1. it was a 270 shim. so would i need a 260 shim? i put it back in before i rotated the engine just to be on the safe side.

heres some pics:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/cmn1771/20110307#
    Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2011, 10:14 PM.

NO, please don't turn the engine without shims in place.

Have you looked at BassCliff's tutorial on how to check clearances and change shims?

What part of Alabama?

Have you read the end of my sig?

I find it absoulutely INCREDIBLE that an engine would survive 160,000 miles without a valve adjustment.

Chances are that you will only need to drop ONE size, from a 2.70 to a 2.65, if you were able to turn the bucket.

Last edited by Steve; 03-07-2011, 09:45 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

oops that 16000, not 160000

thanks for the fast response!

yes i can turn the bucket on all of them

Comment

If you take the plugs out it will be easier to turn the engine. Also what Steve said Basscliff has great article on adjusting valves. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
          If you take the plugs out it will be easier to turn the engine. Also what Steve said Basscliff has great article on adjusting valves. terrylee

i did take plugs out , u cant turn it with them in. see last 2 pics

Comment

one more question. are all of these shims gonna be 270? these are the original shims installed at factory.

Comment

Nope, they could be anything. Probably close to 2.70, but no guarantees. In fact, that 2.70 might be the only one.

Since you are actively doing this and asking quesitons, please read the end of my sig and act accordingly. It can help you immensely.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Hi,

From what I see in your pictures, you are on the right track. Keep up the good work. You'll need to inventory your shims to see what you can swap around inside you motor to lessen the number of shims you must buy. Use Steve's spreadsheet to keep track of your shim sizes and clearance values. Then you can "guess-timate" what shims you might need for your next valve adjustment and order ahead of time.

Have a look at the valve clearance guide on my website. I think the process is explained with quite a bit of detail. I use the Suzuki Factory method, i.e. set the outer lobe and measure two clearances on that side. Don't point each lobe up as you measure under it. The factory method unloads both valves so that you get a truer measure.

Yes, if your .04mm doesn't fit, slip in the next smaller size and remeasure. The shims come in 0.05mm increments (2.60, 2.65, 2.70mm, etc).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Greetings,

What part of Alabama? I have some spare shims I could swap with you if your close. Would be more than happy to help out. I also have a Morgan carb tune to sync the carbs.

Buddy
                  09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                  83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                  81 GS650G for the wife.
                  82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                  I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                  If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                  Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Need a shim chart?

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                      Need a shim chart?
                      I found a similar chart to be very confusing and intimidating when I first encountered one 30 years ago.

That's probably the primary reason I came up with my spreadsheet.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I found a similar chart to be very confusing and intimidating when I first encountered one 30 years ago.

That's probably the primary reason I came up with my spreadsheet.

LOL. 30 years ago there was no spreadsheets. I’ll stick with the chart, I can print it out and take it the shop where it is needed. I don't know how to use a speadsheet program antway.

Comment

check out the gs shim club: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            LOL. 30 years ago there was no spreadsheets. I’ll stick with the chart, I can print it out and take it the shop where it is needed. I don't know how to use a speadsheet program antway.
                            You afraid to learn? You can print out the current page, take it to the shop where it is needed, take it back to your computer, enter the information then follow its suggestions. There is really nothing to "learn".

No complaints (yet) from 456 users in 15 countries, but it's your choice. Enjoy your chart.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

man u guys r awesome! iv got shims coming from z1. i should be wrapping this up by friday. it really isnt that hard. thanks to u guys for the knowledge!

-Matt
                              Leeds, AL

Comment

Working...
                              X