Starting Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Procedure

Hello. I have a 1981 GS550L and I'd like to know what the cold start procedure is. Do I need to keep the throttle open with the choke on when trying to start it cold? Or no throttle and just the choke on when trying to start it? tnx.

Welcome. Just use the choke with no throttle. The choke is actually a fuel enrichment so if you try to add throttle than you are just bogging it down. If the bike is unable to start without also adding throttle then you probably have some issues going on with your carbs.

Basscliff will be along later with the official welcome packet that includes a TON of maintenance these old bikes NEED. Read through it, ask questions, listen to the advice given, and you'll have a great running bike. Try to take shortcuts and you'll be pulling your hair out.

Btw, add your bike info to your signature block and your location to your profile (both in the User CP) and we'll be able to provide a lot of help without you having to remember saying it all the time.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for the info...I appreciate it.

Comment

Updated my info...tnx

Comment

You're supposed to start with Only choke, no throttle.

But then again.... look at the GSXR forums, all the guys with newer bikes...half of them seem to need to apply throttle to fire it up.
          (no idea why......but they treat it like it's the norm.)

Throttle may be necessary if your bike is coming out of hibernation, and maybe it wasn't stored properly.
          (something going on with the carbs.)

I usually give it a little blip when I start mine up, just to make sure it doesn't quickly stall out. Sometimes my bike likes to immediately cut out the first or 2nd try...even with choke on....I have a small "low-spot" when the choke is completely Engaged for some reason....didn't have it last season.

Every bike is a little different sometimes.

Comment

Choke to full, crank and then when it fires, blip the throttle to get them all to catch. Works for me

Comment

I knew someone that revved to like 6-8K to warm up their bike.......

I tried to yell over to them, but they didn't hear me over the sound of their engine almost redlining....

True story. Yep yep.

Comment

Working...
              X