I am a little confused about oil level.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a little confused about oil level.

I have searched the forums and now know how to check the oil with a dipstick equipped bike, but unfortunately, mine doesnt use one.
    My concern is that I see you have to set it on the center stand to check it, but do I check it cold? right after running? after so many minutes?
    Cold, my oil level shows perfect. right after running, it doesnt register in the sight glass. I havent had the red oil light come on at all so I doubt its too low, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks guys for responses.

Check it cold. Sometimes it takes 24 hours on mine for it to show up at the right level after running. Always does though in the end.
    sigpic
    Current bikes:
    1982 GSX750EZ, 1989 CBR600F
    Previous bikes:
    More BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at
    Bultaco 350 Trials, BSA C15
    1971 BSA B25SS Gold Star 250, 1969 BSA A65 Lightning
    1976 HONDA CB750 K6

Comment

Check it cold before riding. When you do an oil and filter change, you fill to the full line, start the bike and let it run for aq min ute or so, then shut it off and let set for maybe 5 or 10 minutes and finish filling to the full line. Like mentioned before itm will take a decent period of time for it to settle down after a ride. Best bet is to check it first thing before a ride when its cold and had sat a good while. And always on the center stand or with the bike as upright and level as possible.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys. Chuck, I will keep that in mind for whenever I get around to changing it out when I do my clutch later.
        Sorry it took so long to respond back, I was in a 3 day class for Kia ad a 100 mile drive in Cali traffic will take something out of you.

Comment

Working...
        X