No announcement yet.

GS850 Driven Hub Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don, I replaced the complete final drive unit.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hi,

Here's a worn out "gold" spline next to a new silver spline. There's only a slight difference in the color.

Sorry, I'd like to give credit to the picture's owner, but I forgot where it came from.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi,

Here's a worn out "gold" spline next to a new silver spline. There's only a slight difference in the color.

Sorry, I'd like to give credit to the picture's owner, but I forgot where it came from.

BassCliff
        That's pretty much what I have on the left, I'll take the one on the right.

Comment

Question, once the worn parts are replaced, if maintained properly, is this a reoccurring problem with the G model? I hadn't heard about spline wear problems until I started reading this forum, which is why I checked mine. How often should these be cleaned and lubed once new parts are installed?

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

I still have the original spline in my rear wheel, the dark one. I've maintained it properly (with Honda Moly 60 paste at every tire change) ever since I've owned the bike (bought it with 13,800 miles, now has over 53,000) and it shows no signs of wear.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
              Question, once the worn parts are replaced, if maintained properly, is this a reoccurring problem with the G model? I hadn't heard about spline wear problems until I started reading this forum, which is why I checked mine. How often should these be cleaned and lubed once new parts are installed?

Thanks
              Each and every time the rear wheel is removed to replace the tire is a real good schedule. My '80 850 still has the original splines on the wheel and is pushing 97k miles (a couple more trips like I did today and it'll be there). I got mine with 25k on the clock 6 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                Each and every time the rear wheel is removed to replace the tire is a real good schedule. My '80 850 still has the original splines on the wheel and is pushing 97k miles (a couple more trips like I did today and it'll be there). I got mine with 25k on the clock 6 years ago.
                Nice to know, I found an older (79) complete drive unit on Ebay with the hub, a dark one. Any benifit to having a mached set if in good shape or am I just nitpickin?

Comment

Nice to know, I found an older (79) complete drive unit on Ebay with the hub, a dark one. Any benifit to having a mached set if in good shape or am I just nitpickin?
                  Matched set is good if the pumpkin side is in bad shape too (which sometimes happens), otherwise, no real benefit. I've swapped wheels all over between my bikes with no real problem areas. Oh, make sure you put blue loctite on the bolt threads when you replace the splines and be sure the lock tabs are hammered tight against the flats. I had one bolt work it's way out once and it could've been a nasty disaster if I hadn't caught it in time.

Comment

Once you get rid of the gold splines, you should have no more problems, as long as you lube it properly.
                    As mentioned, the splines should be lubed every time you pull the rear wheel for a tire change. The proper lube is a Honda product called "Moly 60 Paste". The good news is that Moly 60 really does not wear out or get flung off the spliines, so virtually all of what you put on there the first time will still be there the next time you check. Just spread it back into place, if it got squished out, and apply just a touch more. The splines don't really slide while in use, the lube is more of a cushion between the teeth that are constantly-engaged.

Oh, Moly 60 is found in a small grease gun cartridge and will cost about $12. If you only have one shaft-driven bike, that one cartridge will be a lifetime supply. I have five of those critters running around here, and had to get a second cartridge after about six years of use.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Matched set is good if the pumpkin side is in bad shape too (which sometimes happens), otherwise, no real benefit. I've swapped wheels all over between my bikes with no real problem areas. Oh, make sure you put blue loctite on the bolt threads when you replace the splines and be sure the lock tabs are hammered tight against the flats. I had one bolt work it's way out once and it could've been a nasty disaster if I hadn't caught it in time.
                      This is what I've got, the only real ware is on the crest of the drive spline, just rounded a bit

Comment

This is what I've got, the only real ware is on the crest of the drive spline, just rounded a bit
                        That looks perfectly good to me. No need to replace it. Splines are different than bevel gears. Bevel gears should be done in matched sets, splines aren't that picky. If they were, every time you replaced those worn out CV joint axles on your cars you'd have to tear apart the diff as well.

Comment

That looks perfectly good to me. No need to replace it. Splines are different than bevel gears. Bevel gears should be done in matched sets, splines aren't that picky. If they were, every time you replaced those worn out CV joint axles on your cars you'd have to tear apart the diff as well.
                          Thanks Dan,

Got a hub headed my way.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Once you get rid of the gold splines, you should have no more problems, as long as you lube it properly.
                            As mentioned, the splines should be lubed every time you pull the rear wheel for a tire change. The proper lube is a Honda product called "Moly 60 Paste". The good news is that Moly 60 really does not wear out or get flung off the spliines, so virtually all of what you put on there the first time will still be there the next time you check. Just spread it back into place, if it got squished out, and apply just a touch more. The splines don't really slide while in use, the lube is more of a cushion between the teeth that are constantly-engaged.

Oh, Moly 60 is found in a small grease gun cartridge and will cost about $12. If you only have one shaft-driven bike, that one cartridge will be a lifetime supply. I have five of those critters running around here, and had to get a second cartridge after about six years of use.

Thanks Steve,

I agree, Honda Moly 60 is the stuff. Thanks for your help

Comment

For those that havn't seen this it's great info on spline lube and grease.

Comment

If you're looking for a good "silver" type spline on ebay, our shafties use the same spline as many of the post-GS Suzukies, like the Intruder or Madura. I have an '82 GS that came with the crummy "gold" spline, and found a "silver" replacement on ebay by searching Intruder and Madura rear wheels. Found an Intruder rear wheel for $30 including shipping, pulled the spline off that spoked wheel and have been good ever since. I gave away the spoked wheel to someone here on the GS board, so win/win. Also, what they say about Honda Moly 60 is true, really good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X