• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument Panel Problems (GS850G)

Hi folks

(Not sure where to post this)

1) My speedo needle wobbles about;
    2) The odometer is not moving, neither the main mileage counter nor the Trip counter;
    3) The fuel guage kinda works, maybe just needs some kind of adjustment as the needle shows half when full of gas, and immediately shows a decrease as I ride the bike.
    4) There's no backlight, so can't see anything at night.

All other instrument panel functions seem to be working.

Wondering if these are issues I could fix, or better to replace.
    I don't mind spending the time fixing if it's possible.

Any thoughts on whether this is possible and what the process and parts necessary are?

Thanks
    Assaf

Should be able to take the back off the gauges and replace the light bulbs (probably burnt out) or check the wiring. Sounds like tach may need a new cable, or check the gear attached on the frt. wheel, sometimes it needs cleaned and a little grease. Not sure about speedo, that could be the cable too, or maybe trying cleaning the works inside, could be parts inside just need cleaning. terrylee

Comment

If your willing to get inside your speedometer, you may be able to fix what's causing the needle to bounce and the odometer to not turn. if it's a bad needle dampener that's causing the oscillation, your going to have to replace the speedometer.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The fuel gauge is probably the easiest of the three.

Of course, BassCliff has a copy of Jethro's Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Repair on his 'little' website.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As for the speedometer, could be a broken or unseated connection. Disconnect cable at the gauge and rotate the front wheel and see if the cable rotates also.
          A bouncy tach needle can be from an engine idling unevenly, a cable that needs lubed or tightened, or something inside the tach itself as Dale suggests.
          No backlight, could all the bulbs be bad? Maybe, you may not be getting voltage to them, a open circuit. Won't know until you pull the bulbs and check for voltage.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Steve, His problems are with the speedo, not the tach. it has no odometer or tripminder functions plus a bouncy needle.

me thinks the speedometer is junk...
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              Steve, His problems are with the speedo, not the tach. it has no odometer or tripminder functions plus a bouncy needle.

me thinks the speedometer is junk...
              Me thinks you probably right.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Im had a bouncy needle once and discovered the cable was broke but the 2 ends were still meshing ( bouncing on and off each other ) and making the needle jump to all sorts of nice dancing. I would pull the cable from both ends and remove the core to inspect it.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Steve, His problems are with the speedo, not the tach. ...
                  Ooops, yeah, the other Steve.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Ooops, yeah, the other Steve.

Lots of Steve's on this forum, Right Steve?
                    sigpic
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      Lots of Steve's on this forum, Right Steve?
                      Right, Steve.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Great.
                        Lots of ideas. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X