Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 GS550e rear suspension lube points

Are there any lube places on the swingarm etc for this bike ? thanks

Sorta. It has a pair of bearings, but you have to take it apart to lube them or replace them. No zerk fittings, though.

Comment

Yeah you would need ot remove the swingarm.
      It is a bit of an intensive process but worth the effort.

Lots of pivots in the cushion lever and other bits that need lube and may need seal replacement. I got around seal replacement by repainting so the groove cut by the seal was filled.

The bearings are a bit pricy. There is alos a machined tube that each bearing "rides" on. A lot of water and marginal seals allowed water to enter and bugger up one side. I replaced both bearings and cheated on the machined sleeves by cleaning them very well and flipping them over. The bearing only rides on half the tub. No idea whay but it saved a pretty good chunk of change.

edit.

Part# 61251-43400
      Desc SPACER PIVOT USD Price 29.74

Good god insane. Check out the fiche at alph-sports to see all the stuff that needs to be addressed.
      Some folks swear by a quick and dirty spritz of penetrating oil or what have you.
      But you cannot flush out the dirt that is packed in the bearing that way. In fact you only make things worse.

There are a couple of heim joints as well. The one on the bottom of the shock was hammered out and not rattling but binding, something to look for that would definitely affect hangling.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

The bearings almost always can be replaced by generics; Suzuki did not do anything magic with them. Other members on here know how to find the generic equivalents. Much, much cheaper and the same quality.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My brother is the manager of a supply house that carries all sorts of bearings and can usually help me out price wise.

Comment

Working...
          X