78 1000 seat trim plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 1000 seat trim plastic

The seat trim for my 78 100 is broken.Is it ABS or something else?Hoping someone knows so I can plan ahead.If not ABS I'll plastic weld it,if it is I'll use the slurry method.

Yes it is ABS... slurry will do fine.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Acetone is a god send.

The light switch lever on the 1K was cracked around the hole where the screw goes through used to retain it to the switch. I took some acetone and applied it to the crack to meld the crack together and noticed the crack took on a shiny appearance that didn't go away after it evaporated. The knob was faded white from the sun beating down on it over the years, so I said what the hey, lets try wiping the surface of the knob down with it and see what happens. Well you know what, if you are careful in how you hold it and polish it with a fine cloth as it's drying, it works just as well at renewing the finish on faded ABS.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Rusty, that switch looks BETTER than new!
        I will have to try that method on a bunch of stuff.

Perhaps you would be good enough to add it to the tips section?

Eric

Comment

I've used acetone to fix ABS to.It's just with the 85 750EF I found out the hard way that the lowers where not ABS.Just thought I'd ask the GSR brain trust rather than experiment.
          Thanks for the answer!

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post

The seat trim for my 78 100 is broken.Is it ABS or something else?Hoping someone knows so I can plan ahead.If not ABS I'll plastic weld it,if it is I'll use the slurry method.
            Hate to sound ignorant, but I am. What is the slurry method. Mine is cracked and would like to mend it, before it breaks also.
            :cool:GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              Hate to sound ignorant, but I am. What is the slurry method. Mine is cracked and would like to mend it, before it breaks also.
              Melt slivered ABS in acetone and apply it to the piece in question.How Matchless put the Windjammer that Chuck and RB sent him back together,
              Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Edit: If yours is just cracked put a bit if acetone on the crack,should "weld" it up PDQ.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2012, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I have one or two of those bottom plastic filler panels that I might be talked into selling but,
                they have those factory red and yellow(?) stripes on them for a Skunk.

Eric

Comment

Other than the broken bit this one's not that bad.Now I'm sure it's ABS I am confident it's repairable.Heck I could fix it if it was something else.Got to anyway,$$ here are to tight to get another one.

Comment

Eric, I had given thought to that very same suggestion on the way home from work today; I should add it to the tips and tricks section.

The only thing to be mindful of is, when the ABS surface is wetted with acetone it becomes soft and highly susceptible to being damaged. You must wait until the surface is about to leave it's plastic state, then start buffing the surface with a high thread count cloth.

I'm not sure how well this process lends it's self to larger pieces at the moment. If you decide try this on a larger item, say something on the order of a right or left control, err on the side of caution.

Comment

Rusty, got it. Work fast!

Comment

Work smart, practice on junk pieces...

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                          Acetone is a god send.

The light switch lever on the 1K was cracked around the hole where the screw goes through used to retain it to the switch. I took some acetone and applied it to the crack to meld the crack together and noticed the crack took on a shiny appearance that didn't go away after it evaporated. The knob was faded white from the sun beating down on it over the years, so I said what the hey, lets try wiping the surface of the knob down with it and see what happens. Well you know what, if you are careful in how you hold it and polish it with a fine cloth as it's drying, it works just as well at renewing the finish on faded ABS.
                          Those are flimsy knobs at best, you're not the only one that had that problem. Yours if probably as good as new now, it looks new.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Fixed up the break and reattached the broken end with a bit o' helpMade some slurry to fill in to.

Put it on the seat so it sets up right.

Comment

Working...
                            X