Stuck damper bolt and worse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck damper bolt and worse...

the allen socket rounded out. I was trying to get it out with my air ratchet and it jumped and rounded the flats in the socket before I could get my finger off the button. Usually this works flawlesly but not today and now I am stuck figuratively and literally.

The only course I can see open to me is to try and use an extractor but I am less than keen on these as I've snapped a few in my day.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
    Spyug

Damper-which one? I imagine you can't grab the head of the allen head (recessed?)- left handed drill bits are my next choice; extractors are usually trouble.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you mean the allen bolt in the bottom of your forks just drill the head off. It's really easy as the bolt helps the drill centre and as soon as you see copper stop (you have hit the washer). The headless bolt will unscrew easily from the damper rod when you have the thing apart. I've done this loads of times and it's a standard M6 allen bolt (and new copper washer) to replace.

On some of the smaller Suzukis made outside Japan they used the same set up but the allen bolts were made of cheese so it's almost a case of not even trying to undo the bolt.
      Last edited by hampshirehog; 06-16-2012, 05:47 PM.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks guys. I got a set of extractors from my buddy as I couldn't find mine but I was not really looking forward to using them. I think I'll try the drilling off of the head.

I'll let you know how that works out.

cheers,
        spyug

Comment

I gave up on mine before I hit that issue, fortunately I have air forks and just blew my seals out, I've heard the secret is to use a lot of heat on the head to dissolve the loctite causing them to be so troublesome.

Comment

Before you drill try a Torx bit beat one of them in the allen hole ....Stuff a wood rod in the fork helps... Too

Comment

I did try that too haztoys and I do have a tool to hold the damper but the bit just chewed it more.

I then spent an hour drilling but the biggest bit I have is 15/32" so I wasn't able to get the whole head. The pointed drill bit excavates a pit in the head but leaves the sides and its hard to get those without potentially damaging the softer fork leg. I think an end mill would be better as it cuts square to the surface of the bolt head, problem is they are not long enough to chuck into a drill and not have the chuck hit the bolts for the fork axle cap.

With a larger drill bit I should be able to get it but the largest drill I have only has a 1/2" chuck unless I can find a larger bit with a reduced shank. This is getting pricey.

I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Cheers all,
              Spyug

Comment

Too late now...

You could have taken a punch and a hammer to the outside edges of the allen bolt which would have closed up the opening enough so the bit would have held.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Too late now...

You could have taken a punch and a hammer to the outside edges of the allen bolt which would have closed up the opening enough so the bit would have held.
                  Heating the bolt helps as their is thread lock on it from the factory.
                  Last edited by Nessism; 06-16-2012, 11:57 PM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Agree with drilling

[QUOTE=hampshirehog;1672020]If you mean the allen bolt in the bottom of your forks just drill the head off. It's really easy as the bolt helps the drill centre and as soon as you see copper stop (you have hit the washer). The headless bolt will unscrew easily from the damper rod when you have the thing apart.

My oil filter housing (the bolt running through and holding it in) too became stripped. I tried every type and size visegrip with no luck. I finally when to Nappa and bought a high strenth steel drilling bit/shank made for that specific purpose and I have to be honest not only was it liberating, but it was actually kind of fun. I have been one of those guys constantly frustrated in life with getting every bolt out except just one. Now I am not so paranoid about stripping them. Good luck.

Comment

Don't forget you don't need to drill off the whole head. You only drill the thickness of the bolt - 6mm, so use a 6mm bit. When you have drilled through the head you will just touch the copper washer. As soon as you see copper stop drilling and give the centre a sharp tap with a punch
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I saw a variation on a EZ-out that looks like it might eliminate the anxiety of breaking it off in the stuck bolt. If you have a hole drilled in the bolt now maybe this is the tool to try with a little heat to coax it.......

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks guys and kudos to Mr hampshire. I followed your suggestion and once I found some sharp drill bits and remembered to drill the hole in increments it worked like a charm. So, thankfully, that is now sorted and the forks are ready to go back on.

Another day when I've learned a new skill. Many thanks to all.

cheers,
                          Spyug

Comment

Working...
                          X