Sprocket & Chain help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I messed up pretty good...

Last night I jumped the gun and thought I would have to remove the exhaust to get the axle bolt out.. So I preceded to remove the exhaust hanger bolts and the exhaust...partially.

The header was about half way off the I realized I did not need to remove the exhaust at all, just turn the chain adjuster upside down and the wheels pops off easily.....silly me!

NOW, I cannot get the header back into the engine for nothing. I used a rubber mallot to try and knock it back in, but no luck. I can see this will cause an exhaust leak...

Is there a trick to getting this thing back in????

Comment

Don't force it! That's a good way to rape your threads and then you'll have a REAL problem.

I recall my exhaust bolts being pretty rusted up and some time with a wire brush or wheel would help a lot to clean them back up. If they won't start to thread, do not force them or you'll probably cross thread them. Some penetrating spray and patience will likely be your best friends here.

I imagine if you're running stock exhaust, that you needed to take the exhaust off to get the axle bolt torqued again. I had to anyway. Getting the tire off is not an issue with the exhaust on, but you simply can't get a torque wrench in there. So basically, in my opinion, the exhaust had to come off sooner or later. No flub there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        Don't force it! That's a good way to rape your threads and then you'll have a REAL problem.

I recall my exhaust bolts being pretty rusted up and some time with a wire brush or wheel would help a lot to clean them back up. If they won't start to thread, do not force them or you'll probably cross thread them. Some penetrating spray and patience will likely be your best friends here.

I imagine if you're running stock exhaust, that you needed to take the exhaust off to get the axle bolt torqued again. I had to anyway. Getting the tire off is not an issue with the exhaust on, but you simply can't get a torque wrench in there. So basically, in my opinion, the exhaust had to come off sooner or later. No flub there.
        The exhaust bolts are not the problem. The problem is the header will not go all the way back into the engine. When I was pulling the header out it was super tight. Now it won't go back in all the way. Is it safe to put the bolts in some carb cleaner overnight?

Comment

It's all metal, it won't hurt it.

Comment

Sounds like you tweaked the exhaust tubes just a bit. Might just need some muscle to get them back in alignment.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

There must be a dozen GSR members near you in Ohio.
              Perhaps one (or more) of them could take a look and help you?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                There must be a dozen GSR members near you in Ohio.
                Perhaps one (or more) of them could take a look and help you?

Eric
                Just in case you hadn't noticed, my location has been updated.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Just in case you hadn't noticed, my location has been updated.

Your current location, seems to be nation-wide most of the time.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    Your current location, seems to be nation-wide most of the time.

Eric
                    So far, just the east side. The last four years have all been east of the Mississississippippi River.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

GS650, give me a shout sometime. I wouldn't mind riding down to lend a hand and actually need to look up Dogma anyway (he's in your neck of the woods) to get something here soon.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well, I got both the front and rear tires off. I am going to pull the rotors from the front today and spray paint the rims, then go get some new tires.

As for the exhaust, still a no go. I think I may have to buy a ratchet strap and try that method.

Cowboyup - Where about's are you located? I am on the west side of Ohio, about 20 minutes from the Indiana border.

Comment

I'm here in Dayton
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Did you get a clip-on Master Link, or Rivet?
                            If you have a rivet, you'll need a rivet tool, or Harbor-Freight chain breaker tool(which can do both, just YouTube it) Either way, make sure you go Easy and don't smash the rivets too hard, or the Master Link will pinch too tight on the chain.
                            Just tighten the rivets down, one at a time, then pull the tool off, inspect the rivet, and tightness, then re-attach the tool, tighten it down a little more, then re-inspect.
                            (remember, if the rivet isn't fully pressed down, you can always re-tighten, But if it's too tight, you can't go back and loosen it.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                              Did you get a clip-on Master Link, or Rivet?
                              If you have a rivet, you'll need a rivet tool, or Harbor-Freight chain breaker tool(which can do both, just YouTube it) Either way, make sure you go Easy and don't smash the rivets too hard, or the Master Link will pinch too tight on the chain.
                              Just tighten the rivets down, one at a time, then pull the tool off, inspect the rivet, and tightness, then re-attach the tool, tighten it down a little more, then re-inspect.
                              (remember, if the rivet isn't fully pressed down, you can always re-tighten, But if it's too tight, you can't go back and loosen it.)
                              Clip-on master link.

My old chain has a master link as well, so I am assuming the PO changed it out at some time, but when I went to remove the clip it was seized on. I had to dremel it off and the chain just fell apart...Glad I purchased a new one!

Comment

Bike on stand and cheap-o jack.

I hope to get new tires today and mount them tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X