F@#!ing Valve Shims!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F@#!ing Valve Shims!

It's the Fourth of July and my Local Suzuki shop is closed. I was really close to finishing the valve adjustment. I only have four more to go, so I get to the shop and it's frickin' closed! Estas putas valvulas me dan tanta lata, que cabronada esto!

I just ordered some shims on E-bay. The reason I did this is because yesterday the guy said that they probably don't have the sizes that I need available. I even checked the other shop here, and came up empty-handed there as well. This means that I have less riding time. I use my truck and my bike as a daily driver, so that really sucks. My truck does 16 mpg and my bike does about 50 mpg, so you can see my concern.

I'm just venting, but really I'd like to look into that valve-shim sharing system for next time. Where is that? Is that group still available here? I looked around, but I couldn't find it. I'm really bad at looking up searches here for some reason too. Everyone pretty much knows me here, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

Well, just tell me where to look, pat me on the shoulder and tell me it's all going to be ok soon. That's all I need Papi.

Go to GS Services and look for the GS Shim Club right there on the front page.

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 07-04-2012, 03:26 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Beans and Beans...it's been too quiet from your end of late.

How are you making out with the weather when entire country to the east of you is in a tortuous heat wave?

The shim club is a good thing. I had a very quick turnaround time, and that was even dealing with a border.

Happy 4th!
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hey Big D, what's going on? Heat wave? Naw, that's just called July around here. We got up to 108F, I think it was last year. We roast out here in the desert every single summer.

Oh, and from the looks of it, you guys need me around here. I'm going to be calling some people out on their p's and q's, and probably get myself in some flame war or something; I don't know.

I started to take out the shims Saturday afternoon. I didn't get it finished so I had to wait for Tuesday to get the right shims. I tried to use what he had available, but 4 were still not to specs. Now I have to wait until my shims come in the mail. What a big deal this has become for such a routine maintenance exercise!

Hey Steve, I was able to remove the gasket all together with those half moons that I stuck together last adjustment period. I guess that it isn't a problem. I have been thinking about that since you told me what a mistake it was. I got away with it this time.

Comment

Originally posted by frijoles-and-beans View Post
          It's the Fourth of July and my Local Suzuki shop is closed. I was really close to finishing the valve adjustment. I only have four more to go, so I get to the shop and it's frickin' closed!
          Most dealerships around here are closed for the fourth. You might have called a day or so in advance to see if they were open or not.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! I think I screwed up. You guys can tell me just how much. I turned the dang engine without some of the shims, and now I have damaged them on the edges. Am I going to have to get new lifters? This is probably the stupidest thing I've done so far with this machine. I usually just lose bolts or something and I have to order them again, and again. hehe This time is different. Tell me that I haven't ruined the lifters, or just tell me how bad it is people.

Ricardo

PS I'm freaking out a little!

Comment

Originally posted by frijoles-and-beans View Post
              Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! I think I screwed up. You guys can tell me just how much. I turned the dang engine without some of the shims, and now I have damaged them on the edges.
              What is them? The edges of the cams, or the buckets?

Post pictures of the damaged pieces in question.

Comment

By lifters I assume you mean the lobes on the cam? I would put your shims back in and rotate the engine to get some pics of the damage so some of our more seasoned engine gurus can have a look. If it is just a scratch in the lobe of the cam it probably isn't the end of the world.

Comment

Yeah, it's not good to rotate the engine while it's missing some shims.

Take some pics so we can see what's up. It probably (hopefully?) isn't a crisis. There are probably some people here who have the parts you need if you've damaged something enough to render it unusable.

Short of a destroyed crankshaft, there aren't too many things on these engines that aren't easy to replace.
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:
                  1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                  HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                  KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                  YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Ricardo..your not the first and wont be the last to do it. If all you did was scrape the outer edges of the cam lobe then youve only knocked off some of the casting slag that wasnt polished. Some will adimantly disagree, but put the shims in and ride the damm thing. Youll be riding it for the next 20 years and the only one that will know is you. Take a pencil magnet and sweep the buckets to get the little chips out.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot the pictures. I'll be right back.

Comment

PS...Little "knicks" on the buckets can be smoothed with a little jewelers file. No harm no foul really for you Ricardo. Ok now all you guys stop gasping at my comments and start piling on!! Im ready for it.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

dr_fsg8

Yeah, those things; the lobes. Take a look at what kind of damage I'm talking here. I kind of like Chuck's suggestion not to worry about it. I mean, that's what I was first thinking, because the lobe surface goes up against the shims and it looks like it still has enough surface area to stand up to use. Tell me what you guys think of the damage.

Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM. Reason: has, not have

Comment

Dress the edges with a fine honing stone and she'll be okay. Now, does a shim still fit inside the bucket?

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              Dress the edges with a fine honing stone and she'll be okay. Now, does a shim still fit inside the bucket?
                              Does a shim still fit inside the bucket?! Now you've got new me thinking terrible things again. I'm going to go check it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X