F@#!ing Valve Shims!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frijoles-and-beans View Post
    Now you've got new me thinking terrible things again. I'm going to go check it out.
    No big deal. I've got a few spares just in case.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

That aint nuttin to be worried about Ricardo. Like I said on the buckets. Any little burrs..which i doubt youll feel many ( if any ) can be cleaned with a little jewelers file.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The only issue you might have is that the damage is past the case hardening depth of the cam which could theoretically cause scalloping under load because the internal surface stresses are uneven now. The best you can do at this point is to clean it up with a fine machinists stone and keep an eye on it to make sure the lobes don't crack. Try to round the edges-cracks typically propogate from a sharp corner.

Comment

Ok, thanks everyone, I am now completely ok. I guess that I still have the shims to wait for, but that's all now. I thought that I may have really messed some things up. The shims popped right into the buckets as they should have. Everything is just fine in my little world now. I will update this thread when I put the thing back together again.

Now, I thought I saw some people, again, disparaging the plight of the undocument immigrant. When will they learn? I'm going to go sniff out some threads and throw a couple of pennies into the pot.

Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
            The only issue you might have is that the damage is past the case hardening depth of the cam which could theoretically cause scalloping under load because the internal surface stresses are uneven now. The best you can do at this point is to clean it up with a fine machinists stone and keep an eye on it to make sure the lobes don't crack. Try to round the edges-cracks typically propogate from a sharp corner.
            Ok, that appears to be a sound plan. Is it really that hard to replace the lobes? What's underneath that small box in between lobes? Is that where I should go to replace them? What's under there?

Comment

Now, I thought I saw some people, again, disparaging the plight of the undocument immigrant. When will they learn?
              The question is, when you you learn to leave it go. No good will come out of it...

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                The question is, when you you learn to leave it go. No good will come out of it...
                That was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Have you ever seen anyone in OT change anyone else's mind? I'll say something when their speech becomes too egregious. It is still a matter of respecting each other. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but a civil discourse is what is needed, not just villainizing a whole people; that's ridiculous. I still see a lot of that here. Everytime I check in, actually.

Comment

Have you ever seen anyone in OT change anyone else's mind?
                  Yes I have.

Good luck... You can always find trouble when you seek it out.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    Yes I have.

Good luck... You can always find trouble when you seek it out.
                    Jesus Christ, I'm just trying to get some help on my valves, and you keep at this whole OT thing. Besides, it's just OT, how much trouble could I get into? It's just people talking.

Comment

I love my 16 valves more and more when I see folks working with these shims lol.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        I love my 16 valves more and more when I see folks working with these shims lol.
                        Hey neighbor, I hear you. I guess really though, my problem boils down to user error. I didn't even really think about it, until the damage was done. I think I'm going to end up replacing the lobes. I don't know; I guess I'll find out. I could start all over with the shim thing that way. I'm not really even sure what I'm talking about just yet, but gearheadE30 has just about convinced me to do something more about it.

I guess that's my next plan of action about the whole situation. I guess that my daily vehicle is going to have to be my truck for now.

I've been looking around for information, and it doesn't look that hard. I don't even know how much the cams are, but I screwed this up and I want to get it right again. Hey Chuck, I guess I'm going to take the long road on this one, damn me!

Comment

F&B,

a PO did something similar on one of my cam lobes, and so far it hasn't caused me any grief. Smoothing the edges out makes sense until the time you feel it necessary to swap the cam lobe out.

If you are going to swap, where do you source the lobe? EBay? RapidRay?

Guys...does mixing and matching cause any problems? Or will Ricardo have to change them all?
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I just answered a pm from rustybronco. I'm going to try to work it out with him. He's a nice guy. I don't want him to get me wrong. He's always been on my butt since I joined whenever I say something contrary. I'll make it right.

BigD, you're right, but gearhead's words are stuck in my head now. Must change lobes, must change. I am most certainly going to need help with the project. Now that's I've boxed myself in, I have some homework to do. If anyone has any good information I can use, I would surely appreciate it.

Ricardo
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2012, 08:51 PM. Reason: boxed myself in, not boxed myself. haha

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              F&B,

a PO did something similar on one of my cam lobes, and so far it hasn't caused me any grief. Smoothing the edges out makes sense until the time you feel it necessary to swap the cam lobe out.

If you are going to swap, where do you source the lobe? EBay? RapidRay?

Guys...does mixing and matching cause any problems? Or will Ricardo have to change them all?
                              You can't change a cam lobe - there's an exhaust cam and an intake cam, you can change either one

Used cams are aways available here or Ebay

F&B,

I see you're blaming the shims for your problems. They're just helpless little pieces of metal. Now, go apoligize to them
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                                You can't change a cam lobe - there's an exhaust cam and an intake cam, you can change either one

Used cams are aways available here or Ebay

F&B,

I see you're blaming the shims for your problems. They're just helpless little pieces of metal. Now, go apoligize to them
                                Ok, good to know. See, I'm that much more knowledgable already. I will now avoid asking for lobes and looking like a complete noob. Thanks for the tips on how to locate them.

I have to apologize to the shims. They have given me an excellent ride so far. I'm sorry shims, and I'm sorry bike for thinking bad thoughts about you. You have given me a lot and asked for so little.

Comment

Working...
                                X