Amco sissy bar missing hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amco sissy bar missing hardware

I have an AMCO luggage rack with a removable/adjustable backrest similar to this one:

The wing nuts used to clamp the backrest tubes have vibrated loose and are now decorating the side of some highway, unfortunately. I don't recall what the hardware looked like. I still have the carriage bolts with the clipped heads. I tried using regular wing nuts on the other end, but they are too large and sit at an angle. This means they don't clamp properly, and the backrest creeps up and hits me in the back when I'm riding.

Does anyone have a similar sissy bar? What hardware is used to clamp the backrest tubes?

May be your lucky day..

I have the same rack (actually don't use it anymore, doesn't fit the 550) and I ran into the same problem some time ago (when I still had it on the 650).. I was fortunate in that I was doing some IT work for a machine shop and had them make me up a few of the pieces that are needed to hold it in place. And I had them make me a few spares..

I'm not sure how many I have I'll have to climb a ladder tonight to look at the baggie that has them. I'll let you know tonight.

Wow, maybe I should put mine up on ebay for $125 if they are asking that price.. I think I paid somewhere in the area of $70 for mine..

Amos
    Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I'd love to know if you have any 'spare' spares after you are finished as mine is missing the little wedges(??) as well.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Busy weekend around here guys, sorry it took so long to respond.

I found my spares, Unfortunately I only have one set. I think what may have happened. Was I borrowed an original from a member, made copies and sent him spares for giving me the master to get copies of. That left me with just one set of spares.

Would someone else be willing to do the same? Unfortunately I no longer work where I have contact with the machine shop.

Amos

Comment

Would any of these help?

Beveled washers are intended to compensate for bolts and rods set at an angle and create a flat surface to tension.

Or make something similar? Out of tube?

Eric

Comment

I was going to try to get pictures of the pieces to post this morning, but totally missed the mark on getting them, or even remembering to bring the pieces to work to do it here. Maybe tonight.

Amos

Comment

It's a little barrel with a tapered end

Then a locking nylock wing nut (that still unlocks)
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ok, here are the pictures as promised:

I don't have the nylon lock nuts, I was actually debating drilling and "safety wiring" to make sure I didn't loose them again, but since I no longer have a bike that the rack fits on, well, never did get to it.

So, we have two rusty people that are interested. Are either of you able to get any other copies made at a machine shop etc??

Amos

Comment

Probably not, but at least now I know what I'm up against as far as hardware is concerned. So far, all I have is the bolts and wing nuts. I'll see what I can do to make the cone shaped pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    Probably not, but at least now I know what I'm up against as far as hardware is concerned. So far, all I have is the bolts and wing nuts. I'll see what I can do to make the cone shaped pieces.

As an aside. I had tried some rubber type washers etc that had the right shape etc, but they squished too much and didn't hold well.

I'm sure others would be interested if you find anything that ends up working.

Would you like me to take some measurements?

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
                      Would you like me to take some measurements?

Amos
                      Not just yet. I'm going to look at the rack and see what sense I make out of those tubular pieces.

Am I to assume just one of those taper pieces are used on each side?

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post

Am I to assume just one of those taper pieces are used on each side?
                        Correct. The Third picture shows a "complete" setup for one side. Bolt, Washer, Tapered piece, Wing nut. (though I just realized I have the order wrong the washer goes below the tapered piece, before the wing nunt).

Amos

Comment

I totally spaced on this thread! Hey Amos, what is the overall height on those tapered pieces? Thanks for the great pics, btw.

Those would be super easy to make out of some aluminum spacers picked up at the local hardware store or McMaster-Carr, something like this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#unthreaded-spacers/=l5e511

All you have to do is chuck it in a lathe and create the taper, or put a bolt through it with a nut on the free end, tighten it up and chuck it into the "poor man's lathe" (a DeWalt cordless drill). Run it at an angle against a file and you're golden!

Comment

Originally posted by rustynissan View Post
                            I totally spaced on this thread! Hey Amos, what is the overall height on those tapered pieces? Thanks for the great pics, btw.

Those would be super easy to make out of some aluminum spacers picked up at the local hardware store or McMaster-Carr, something like this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#unthreaded-spacers/=l5e511

All you have to do is chuck it in a lathe and create the taper, or put a bolt through it with a nut on the free end, tighten it up and chuck it into the "poor man's lathe" (a DeWalt cordless drill). Run it at an angle against a file and you're golden!

That makes two of us. I'll take measurements tonight (I should have time to dig them back out and measure them..

Amos

Comment

Here is one of my pictures with measurments.

BTW if any one is interested the rack is for sale (sometime I'll get around to listing it in the for sale forum).

Amos

Comment

Working...
                              X