Haynes v. Clymer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haynes v. Clymer

Looking to get a repair manual and was wondering what everyone though about these 2 books.
    Haynes
    33.33%
    Clymer
    66.67%

The poll is expired.

Where's the option "neither"?

Get the REAL Suzuki Factory Service Manual. Free download off basscliff's website. Duh.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Get the REAL Suzuki Factory Service Manual. Free download off basscliff's website. Duh.
      What he said (without the "Duh") .

Cheers , Simon .
      http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Free is good. Otherwise I've like Clymer books better than Haynes when it comes to bikes. Haynes was good when I was rebuilding my full size Bronco and a '78 F100 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Yes. I have purchased Clymer and Haynes manuals for my various bikes through the years and they languished on the shelf as the Factory Service Manual is far, far superior.
          I purchase mine as I find the scanned in versions lacking in quality or resolution, but if funds are tight the free ones are still much better than either of the aftermarket brands.

Comment

I have the pleasure of having all three manuals for my 850s, Factory, Clymer and Haynes.

That is also the order in which I prefer them.

However, because the factory manual is on the computer, it tends to be more for research ahead of time, rather than what's open near the bike while working on it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I thought Haynes and Clymer are one in the same now. One bought the other out.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

That could be true, but i have found on ebay and other places their is 2 different books. The Haynes is a black cover and about 70 some odd pages. The Clymer is the white cover and has about 200+ pages. Course they have different prices too.

Comment

They both tend to cover multiple models.
                  One of them has color pictures, if you are set on them I would get the one that has the color pictures; they are a lot easier on the eyes.
                  And they are definitely different, even if the same company owns both publications.

Comment

All the manuals are shot through with baffling, potentially deadly errors, completely unintelligible photos, and incomprehensible instructions, including the Suzuki factory manual.

The factory manuals just make my blood boil sometimes. Honestly, how much use is a statement like "Use special service tool #4356575-097QZFU to remove the flimmert from the whatsit" when there's no photo of the tool or the flimmert, and only one hazy photo of the de-flimmerted whatsit obscured by someone's greasy hand pointing at something else? Haynes and Clymer will at least sometimes show you an alternate tool or method. The British terminology found in Haynes is confusing at first.

They all suck in their own way, so I use all three when I can. You can cross-check procedures, torque specs, etc. Sometimes one tiny, blurry, black and white photo is at a slightly better angle than another.

The Haynes and Clymer manuals for our bikes were written decades ago when the companies were definitely separate. Even if the companies have merged in some way since then, they're certainly not going to bother to rewrite the manuals.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 09-21-2012, 04:58 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Haynes are infamous for missing on some of the critical detail. The old joke was, on instructions about how to rebuild your engine:

1a. First remove the fuel tank as desecribe in chapter 4.
                      1b. Finally replace the fuel tank as described in chapter 5.
                      1c. Run the engine in carefully.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I quit using them because I had multiple instances where I would have some part, say a starter. I would unbolt everything I could see but it would not budge. Thinking there might be a hidden bolt or bracket, I would go to that section of the manual, which would state: "Remove starter".
                        Golly gosh, I had already figured that one out.
                        So I switched to factory service manuals and never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by jace09 View Post
                          The Haynes is a black cover and about 70 some odd pages. The Clymer is the white cover and has about 200+ pages. Course they have different prices too.
                          My Clymer manual covers shaft-driven 850-1100 modes from '79 through '84, and has 243 pages.

My Haynes manual says it covers the 850 (only) from '78 through '88, and has 184 pages.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X