Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New batterty, sluggish, weak starting, starter going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New batterty, sluggish, weak starting, starter going?

Good morning,

I have picked up an 80 GSX750 and I got a new battery for it to start getting it going and I notice that even with a new batterty, when it turns over it seems sporadic and weak, no vigor. Could this be the starter going out or the starter solenoid? The bike, though a 1980, only has 12,xxx miles so I want to think it would be alright, but a lot can happen in 32 years. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pnedac

Originally posted by pnedac View Post
    Could this be the starter going out or the starter solenoid? The bike, though a 1980, only has 12,xxx miles so I want to think it would be alright, but a lot can happen in 32 years. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Start at the solenoid with your volt meter. With the starter button psuhed, voltage on input and out put.

If the input is low, check battery and wiring

If the output is low, pop the top (carefully) on the solenoid, spray with contact cleaner, look for burn marks, and reinstall

If output is still low, replace solenoid

Test voltage at starter with starter button pushed. If low, pull starter, takea part, clean starter and examine the brushes. Reassemble and test

Take lots of pictures as you go
    Last edited by Big T; 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

likely (or possibly?) could be just gunked up starter. It sits on top of the motor under the carbs (and the cam tensioner which could be leaking oil usually). Its an easy enough job to clean, getting it out is a trick though. There is a cover over it which is straight forward but there is a bolt at the top end of the starter (assuming you're accessing it from the left side of the bike).

Get it out, remove 2 long screws and you can clean it out. Also good time to check the starter brushes to see if they're still making good contact to make the starter turn. If they're worn you can order just the brushes from your local dealer for not much $$$. Much less $$ than a new starter will be....

Comment

Thanks guys. I will be pulling the starter and the solenoid here pretty soon. I tested the solenoid and got sub 12v readings both input and output, so my guess is that it is the culprit, but pulling the starter and giving it a once over is a great idea too and seeing as i am going to be doing a pretty thorough makeover on this bike, it will be a good thing to knock out anyway I will be posting pics of the beauty here pretty soon.

Thanks again,

Pat

Comment

With such a low mileage, I do not think the starter brushes will be worn out. More likely corrosion at contact terminals and contact points in solenoid and starter switch and elsewhere at earth points and other connections.

How freely does the engine turn over? Long standing could result in surface rust in cylinders, making the engine difficult to turn over, and making the starter's task that much more difficult.
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

If you've got sub 12V readings at the solenoid static, your "new" battery is bad

If you've got sub 12V at the solenoid input with the starter button pushed, your battery is dead or there's a short

Post up

Solenoid in - static
            Solenoid in - button pushed
            Solenoid out - Button pushed
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sounds like a bad new battery or battery cables if you have low voltage on both posts of the solenoid.Or the new battery just needs a good charging
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
              X