Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement speedometer with double the miles on the clock - Can I change it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement speedometer with double the miles on the clock - Can I change it?

So I've got a replacement set of gauges to replace the ragged ones on my GS650GL. The new ones read almost 19000 miles, but the current one only has 8000 something on it. Is there a way I can run the thing forward or backwards? Not for fraud, but because I'd like it to be more accurate. In all honesty, it doesn't much matter because the old one was wrong too - the speed cable was smashed to where it couldn't spin. So it is off already. But I'd like to make it as right as I can.

The only way you can rollback the mileage is to open up the speedo and take apart the odometer.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The other way you can get them to match is to disconnect the speedo cable, then RIDE for about 11,000 miles.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have about the opposite issue where my old gauges read over 22000 but the new ones are at 20k. I'm going to look for a speedometer shop to help me out hopefully.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

For 2,000 miles? Who cares?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The other way you can get them to match is to disconnect the speedo cable, then RIDE for about 11,000 miles.

Bwahahaha I like the way you think. But part of the point of new gauges is having gauges that work. I've been riding blind - busted needle on the speedo due to lack of lube and it pegging too hard plus a busted tach cable - for too long.

I could take the odo apart, and probably get it back together. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamGLX81 View Post
              I could take the odo apart, and probably get it back together. Maybe.
              Take the old one apart first, so you know how to do it.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Ride more, think less.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When I took the speedo apart on my bike, I noticed that the odometer can be run backwards.

But in order to take any appreciable amount of mileage off, you need to construct some kind of rig and let it run for a week at least. Wouldn't be worth the wear and tear on a speedo I wanted to keep.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                    When I took the speedo apart on my bike, I noticed that the odometer can be run backwards.

But in order to take any appreciable amount of mileage off, you need to construct some kind of rig and let it run for a week at least. Wouldn't be worth the wear and tear on a speedo I wanted to keep.
                    Ohhhh, I don't think that's quite the case. It reads 10,000.3 now. I know the bike was wrecked at around 7,500 miles and the cable was mashed then. I don't know how much it was ridden since.

I could post instructions, but I don't think I should. I know I'm being honest about it, but anyone can wander across the forum. Heck, I added miles to it because as far as I'm concerned, the bike has unknown mileage - it's just easier to count up from a nice round number to see how many miles I'VE put on it. If someone wants to know, I can explain. It was really quite easy. It's not fraud because 1) I'm not lying about the miles, and 2) I'm not planning to sell the bike - and if I do, I'm not planning to lie about the miles. I could just as easily lie and say the gauges were wrong if they were accurate.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2013, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X