Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauges Reposted

Hi All,
    I just bought a 1984 GS400S. I should note I am in Canada, so the speedometer is in kilometers. I like the site. I was hoping that someone could provide some information that I haven't been able to find online anywhere. I just got the bike two days ago and have had it out for a couple of rides. It is a bit of a fixer, it seems to runs ok, there needs to be some carb tuning done for idle. I have two issues that I need to correct right away. the speedometer is intermittent, and the tachometer starts to slip at higher RPM. The Tachometer sounds like it is slipping inside the gauge. Regarding the speedometer, I checked the speedo drive and cable which are worn but functioning, so I am guessing that the speedo problem is in the gauge as well. I have not been able to find replacement gauges on ebay or on any of the numerous parts suppliers I've fond online using GS400 parts searches. The 84 GS400S has the kickstand down light on the speedometer gauge and the fuel gauge is built into the tachometer.

Would I be able to use a speedometer and tachometer from a different year GS and a different model?

Has anyone had any luck rebuilding speedo and tach gauges?, if so any tips would be helpful.

How well do parts cross reference from year to year and model to model?

I ordered a Haynes service manual, and should have it in a week or so, but was hoping to get started on the gauge issue right away.

Any thoughts or ideas regarding these gauge issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

i have a suitable used dash, need some tlc but complete (tacho needle need re attaching)
    i dont know how much shipping would be but i'm willing to sell it for 50$ (US)

Eran

Comment

Turn the gauge over and shoot some spray grease between the part that spins with the cable, and the threaded part it spins in. Not too much. Usually this will fix it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
      X