Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to purchase bolts!?

Hope you are all well friends!

Just on the final stages of my rebuild, upon installing the tail light/brake light I lost one of the screws.

It's a pan head, cross/phillips, quite thin, say M2, 45mm in length.

I can't find this size in the uk, am I missing something?

Also, the rear suspension Dome Nut (M12?) I have lost. I purchased a metri one but the thread does not feel right. i.e. I don't think I should do it up as it's feels like its ripping the thread. Are these metric???

Only the last bits, so any help would mean a beer, well, if your UK based ;-)

You may need to order the tail light screw from Suzuki, or salvage one from a junkyard. It's a bit of an oddball, and I know in the US it could be hard to find one that thin and long in standard stock.

The rear suspension nut will be a fine metric thread, the standard on Japanese bikes.

The ones up top are 10mm diameter X 1.25 thread pitch. (If it's one of the bottom ones, I don't know whether it's 12mm or 10mm diameter, but the thread pitch either way will be 1.25mm).

If you just specified "metric", you likely got the standard metric thread, which is a 1.5mm pitch.

I don't know exactly which GS550 model you have, but if you look on the Suzuki fiche, the size is usually part of the part number.

For example, I looked up a US model GS550E, and this screw is listed as:

SCREW 4X55
    02112-04558

The size of the screw is in the part name, which is rare, but if you look closely, it's also embedded in the latter half of the part number. So what we have for this model (again, don't know if it's your model or not) is a 4mm screw 55mm in length. Here in the US, I could get a bag of 25 of these from McMaster-Carr pretty cheap, but they won't be in stock at any hardware store. Not sure where to look in the UK.

Also, just to stave off any confusion, screws are measured based on the shaft of the fastener; you normally exclude the head from the length measurement, and the diameter is based on the threaded part, not the wrench or head size.
    Last edited by bwringer; 07-13-2014, 03:51 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ive been using McMaster-Carr industrial supply,been having good luck so far

Comment

Have you tried custom fasteners ive used them for all my bolts ,special jap threads and head sizes available ,can get in ss or chrome finish good value fast service look them up on the net.

Comment

Working...
        X