Am I going mad or what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I going mad or what

I have just changed the oil and filter on my GSX 750e 1982. Usual procedure,fill,run then top up if need be. I have now checked the level and the glass looks empty,I panicked and topped it up a little more only then to realize that as it wouldn't rev over 5000 when I took it for a run that I might have petrol in the sump.I used a cable tie to dip the oil and the level seems ok,no smell of petrol in oil.I've drained off some oil and this seems ok. What is going on,can anyone help.

Originally posted by tomahawk View Post
    I have just changed the oil and filter on my GSX 750e 1982. Usual procedure,fill,run then top up if need be. I have now checked the level and the glass looks empty,I panicked and topped it up a little more only then to realize that as it wouldn't rev over 5000 when I took it for a run that I might have petrol in the sump.I used a cable tie to dip the oil and the level seems ok,no smell of petrol in oil.I've drained off some oil and this seems ok. What is going on,can anyone help.
    Did you have the bike up on the center stand?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by tomahawk View Post
      I have just changed the oil and filter on my GSX 750e 1982. Usual procedure
      How much came out ? and how much did you put back in ?

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      Did you have the bike up on the center stand?
      Thats another good question.....
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Yes I had it on the centre stand. I originally put in 3.8 litres and the level was perfect in the glass.I'm going to have to drain it all off and see what I've got.

Comment

Update-----I drained the oil,correct amount came out,put it back in and it showed correct level on glass. So it baffles me why I wasn't getting a reading yesterday.

Comment

Did you check it after allowing the oil to drain back to the bottom of the engine? I know that in my 650G, the oil takes a goodly while to refill the sight glass after running.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Just what i was thinking
              allow oil to drain back to the bottom of the engine

Comment

Same thing happened to me the other day. Just needed to let it sit and drain back down

Comment

When you refill the oil goes straight to the sump . I realize that if you have a oil filter change this will fill when the motor is started and you will have to top up,maybe filling up the filter is enough to take the level below the glass.

Comment

If you have the correct level following an oil change and prior to starting it. You should see it on the sight glass after the filter fills up. And it SHOULD be between the hi and low marks.

What do to my 1000ST with an oil cooler is just put 4 quarts of oil in it to compensate for the oil cooler and lines.

Comment

Working...
                    X