Can't Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Ride

So I recently purchased a 1981 GS850G. I cleaned the carbs, put some new fuel in and it starts right up. The problem I have is when I put it in 1st and engage the clutch the engine dies. Kickstands were up, ready to ride, but the engine just dies. Having trouble figuring out the problem, could really use some input. This is my first bike and I can't wait to ride it.

OK I have seen this before. Suzuki is known for have kickstand switch problems. You can try to bypass the kickstand switch. To see if that is the problem. If so you can replace the switch, or trace the wires back, cut them and strip them and put the two wire together. Those switches are known for going bad, or the spring being too soft and not pushing the switch in enough. Start there. even if the stand is up that does mean the switch is all the way in. I have taken about 10 off Suzuki bike for this very reason. just unplug the switch and tape the two wire together. if that helps then just bypass for now and order new one. then replace it

Comment

Sorry, but the kickstand switch is NOT the problem on a GS. The ONLY thing that switch does is turn on a light on the instrument panel, and they did not show up until the 1982 model year.

Samuris, since you "just bought the bike", you have NO idea how it has been used or stored, so it will do you good to read through the Top 10 Newbie Mistakes list to make sure you are not guilty of any of them.

Since the engine "starts right up", it's not likely valve adjustment, but you won't KNOW until you check.

Since the engine "starts right up", it's not likely the "choke" portion of the carb, but you won't KNOW until you check.

My guess is that the pilot circuit in the carbs is gummed up from non-use for who knows how long, the carbs will need a proper cleaning and rebuild, but please follow the instructions and do them correctly. If you don't feel comfortable doing them yourself, there are a few of us here that will be happy to do them for you, for a modest fee, of course.

Any shortcuts you take just mean one more opportunity to do the job over and do it right.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

With bike off and on centerstand, can you spin rear wheel by hand with trans in neutral? Will it spin if trans is in 2nd gear (bike still off ) .When you say it dies, does it do this as you are letting out clutch, or after as you attempt to move forward?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My thought is clutch too tight. I would do the following test. With the bike off, and you sitting on it, pull in the clutch and drop it into first. Now steady the bike and with the clutch lever back to the bars and it in first gear..quickly hit the starter button. If it grabs then the clutch is way out of adjustment...which mean that with it running and you try to drop it in gear..it instantly locks at too low an RPM to make it move and instantly stalls the engine.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Dont be trying to start it!! Just have the clutch in and feet down etc etc and QUICKLY bump the button to see if it grabs..thats what youre trying to establish here. with the clutch in is the clutch so tight ( or even the plates stuck together ) that it is instantly stalling the engine. Once that determined then advice can be given on how to deal with that if need be.

And as Steve pointed out..and others..go thru the newbie mistakes and get the maintenance and carbs PROPERLY done. Take absolutely anything a previous owner ells you as fiction.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck & Steve are on the money and they've both been a wonderful help to me when I was getting my bike back on the road a couple years ago.

Comment

Well, I guess we are going to be hanging around, just guessing away until Samuris finds his (her?) way back here.

(S)he evidently is not aware how quickly this forum moves.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The clutch plates are stuck together from sitting. That is all the issue is. You can either take the clutch plates out, oil them, & put it all back together, or you can just put it in 2nd or 3rd gear, with the engine OFF!!, & rock the bike back & forth with the clutch lever pulled in until the plates break free. It is a simple problem with a simple fix.
                  Ray.

Comment

More fun way, ride it around in first gear, pull the clutch lever in, whip the throttle open and closed, the clutch will free itself up in a few seconds.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Or put the front wheel up against a tree or other solid object and give the bike some throttle (2-3k RPM) with the clutch pulled in and drop it into first. Slowly release the clutch until it starts to grab and then pull the clutch back in/release the throttle. Repeat until the bike will idle in 1st with the clutch pulled in

Comment

Tom..,he probably could do tjhat IF ONLY the bike would stay running when he drops it into gear!! Thats the problem here. Its so jacked that soon as he drops it down it instantly locks and kills the engine. And we all know whats gonna happen if he revs it to 3 grand and trys it again!!!!

Comment

I would pull the cover and use the air impact to remove the clutch hub nut myself. Inspect BOTH the inner and outer baskets for cracks, broken outer basket fingers, heavy grooves that always trap the fibers from moving etc etc before just thrashing it to get them unstuck. One never knows with certanty whats what in there until seeing it.

Gently work the plates and steels apart with a long fish filleting knife, gentle prying..whatevewr...and then reassemble if everything seems ok would be my way to approach this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Well, I guess we are going to be hanging around, just guessing away until Samuris finds his (her?) way back here.

(S)he evidently is not aware how quickly this forum moves.

(s)He is busy boning up reading the service manual.........
                            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

My approach with dealing with an unknown bike and stuck clutch problems is similar to Chuck's. Take it apart and see what's going on. At the very least remove the clutch drive and driven plates. Inspect the hubs for damage that could hang up the clutch. Verify the plates are clean and straight. Re-lubricate them and re-assemble the clutch pack. Good time to do some preventive measures like replacing the clutch springs while in there. Yes you can usually unstick a stuck clutch but you may be overlooking a more serious problem.
                              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X