Stinky oil smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stinky oil smell?

So I changed the oil the other day, and the old oil smelled like burnt zinc(I'll never forgetbthat stench after welding galvanized steel). Now I'm smelling it when I shut the bike off. I used Rotella 15W-40 after reading about it on here, and I assume it has more zinc in it than newer blends? Is that what I'm smelling?

No need to assume, it does, indeed, have more zinc. And phosphorous.

Both of which make the oil very suitable for our bikes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What I would be asking is, 'Why is my engine so hot my oil is burning?"

That's way too hot, you shouldn't smell anything unless you stick your nose into the oil, then you should smell oil, not burnt anything.

Is it leaking onto the exhaust pipes? Or just the oil coming out of the drain plug smells like that?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, when I changed the oil I smelled it in the old oil. Now I'm smelling it in the exhaust when I shut her down. My only guess at why is possibly because I haven't touched the air filter at all this season and it may be getting a little clogged, pulling more oil vapor through the breather hose. She ain't got 12,000 miles on her yet, and the way we ride there's no way the rings are worn yet.

If it's running hotter, it's due to the shorties on it now, and it ain't by much at all. Zinc melts around 860°F, and aluminum gets soft around there(melts around 1100°F) too. Motor ain't THAT hot, so my best edjimicated guess is I'm burning oil that's getting sucked in through the breather tube due to restrictive air filter.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2015, 08:41 AM. Reason: miles, not moles

Comment

Originally posted by Ric View Post
          Well, when I changed the oil I smelled it in the old oil. Now I'm smelling it in the exhaust when I shut her down. My only guess at why is possibly because I haven't touched the air filter at all this season and it may be getting a little clogged, pulling more oil vapor through the breather hose. She ain't got 12,000 miles on her yet, and the way we ride there's no way the rings are worn yet.
          A lot of these bikes go for decades with no air filter maintenance. That's not it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Funny that. I've just changed from 10W40 semi syn to a 15W40 dino for 80s diesels and the bike smells different. I have a small leak from the tensioner oil seal that is finding it's way onto the block fins.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Brendan, does it have a rotten/burnt smell? Not overwhelmingly present, but a definite pits-of-hell type smell?

Comment

Doesn't smell bad. Even the though before the change the bike leaked like a sieve out the front of the block and smoke could be seen rising at times I was never conscious of a smell. Now it's definitely there. I'll see if I can describe it tomorrow although asking me what something smells/tastes like is a bit of a party game for the lady of the house.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by TopWebHosting
                  Hardware program in light weight aluminum alloy windows and doors in program development objective and function Combined with the architectural form and also the functional needs development, of eye-port curtain walls requirements increasingly more high, but to be able to meet what's needed of the actual architecture, hardware techniques technology within door eye-port design from the function must also be rethought. Alloy Development
                  Wow, Guess the spammers finally got to GSR. Do NOT click the link!

Comment

Yep, there are three similar posts form that "Forum Newbie". Reports have been sent to admins.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Yep, there are three similar posts form that "Forum Newbie". Reports have been sent to admins.

Someone told me that the spammers are finding there way in now to sites that use to be pretty hard to gain entry to.

Facebook groups are getting inundated with spam crap all the time now. I fear there is some greater purpose than just annoying us.

Comment

Greater purpose ? Yes. Money.

Comment

Working...
                        X