GS1000 fork diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 fork diameter

This will be an easy one. What is the diameter of gs1000 fork tubes? Also what is the spread on stock tripple trees?

1. 37mm
    2. Which year/model GS1000? There were E, G, L and S models. I know the spread (and offset angle) are different on the L, not sure about the others.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not sure yet this will be a custom application. Just trying to get some dimensions first.

Comment

Half way down the page on Basscliff's site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff) is a link to this page:

On that page is a link to a PDF showing all of the fork diameter

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

On the shafties, the GS1000G and GS850G shared just about everything except engine and a couple other details in the driveline. I can measure the spread on my 850 forks and compare them to my son's 1000 forks this evening. I can even check the spread on my wife's 850L forks.

Now, by "spread", are you talking about the distance between the upper fork tubes or do you want center-to-center distance?

Just in case you had not noticed in any previous research, the L model forks have leading-axle lower tubes. This did not put the axle out any farther than the non-L bikes, though. Suzuki accomplished that by leaving the wheel (and axle) exactly where it was, then lessening the offset in the triples, which pulled the forks back to a point that was behind the axle. Of course, this then required the fuel tank to be smaller, expecially at the front, so it wouldn't get dented by the fork tubes. That fit in perfectly with the goal of a smaller, quasi-peanut shaped tank for the chopper-esque look that was fashionable at the time.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Cowboyup that link is awesome thank you for posting that. Yes when I say spread I mean center to center.

Comment

OK, I measured the distance between the fork tubes at 148mm. Add in the 37mm tube, the center-to-center distance would be 185mm.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
              X