best way to remove oil/sludge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way to remove oil/sludge

drained the old oil in my bike and took the oil pan off to clean the inside and such, thought my oil pan was black at first till a bit of the grime came off and realized its just coated in crap, any spray/soak i can use to have it come off instantly, was thinking degreaser but idk how well it works for automotive oils. its been there for a while

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Gunk Engine Brite, at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc
    Spray it oN, scrub with a stiff brush, rinse with water

Repeat until clean
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

A jet wash also works pretty well (along with a degreaser)...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Simple Green works pretty well
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You can go old school if you want to save a trip to the store, as well as cash and time. Put it in a plastic tub and cover it with some gas you probably already have and let it sit for a few hours. It will break down the grease, then hit it with a brush to remove the rest.

PS, if your doing laundry, put it on top of the machine while it's running to agitate it.
          :cool:GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Pine Sol does as good a job as anything else, usually I buy the generic stuff at the dollar store.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

kerosene, stove oil, paint thinner...and a brush. if you capture the residue, you can let it settle a week and reuse it ....or start your wood stove with it.

Using water based detergents always seems an unhappy way to mix oil with water and then permeate the water table with it.

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                drained the old oil in my bike and took the oil pan off to clean the inside and such, thought my oil pan was black at first till a bit of the grime came off and realized its just coated in crap, any spray/soak i can use to have it come off instantly, was thinking degreaser but idk how well it works for automotive oils. its been there for a while

Get it soda blasted. And while it's out, modify your oil drain hole by installing a steel threaded insert. Fears of stripping are eliminated pretty much foreverSuzie oil pan.jpg Your drain hole will look like this when it's done. Just make sure once you have it installed you take a Dremel cut disk and cut the slots even with the pan slots inside. This will let all your oil drain out then.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Have you tried oven cleaner? I've use it in the past on unpainted engine parts.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

yes, oven cleaner or paint remover for the hardened-on stuff. Just be careful to rinse completely as many are corrosive to aluminum. And gloves/goggles too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      yes, oven cleaner or paint remover for the hardened-on stuff. Just be careful to rinse completely as many are corrosive to aluminum. And gloves/goggles too.
                      Plus a gas mask....unless you want to remove old tobacco residue from your lungs.
                      '82 GS450T

Comment

Yes Kero or diesel. Its seems a wee bit thicker than gas and has a safer flashpoint.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                        X