travel oil container

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ukjules View Post

But the answer to oil carrying is the ally drinks bottle.
    Fix the leak before you go, these things will only ever get worse.
    Aluminium is not very chafe resistant and something square shaped is always preferable. Maybe one of those old ww2 American type water bottles? Much thicker ally
    Finding places to tie stuff to is always a challenge, you still using that 550?
    Where are you off to this time?

100 mile long day longest single hop on a bike was Gibraltar to UK 1470 miles in some horrible rain between Madrid and Paris, my leathers under my one piece rain suit didn't cut it at all

scan0013.jpg
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I hear you Rob S...

If I have to go like this, I ain't.

BikeLOADED.jpg

I figure if I can't hike with the load, there's too much. Take the car. or fly there.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
        100 mile long day longest single hop on a bike was Gibraltar to UK 1470 miles in some horrible rain between Madrid and Paris, my leathers under my one piece rain suit didn't cut it at all
        Isn't that like a 23 hour ride? I know younger I could drive that long in a car, but on a bike? In the rain? Sounds crazy. Not saying I wouldnt do it in a pinch (and norwegian roads are usually narrow, twisty and slow).
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

I have vast amounts of oil stored on shelves in strategic locations all over the world. Diesel trucks and tractors are everywhere, and any place that sells fuel will have oil that's well-suited to a GS.

All I have to do is buy a bottle on the rare occasion I need a top-up. If I don't want to take the rest with me and risk spillage, I look for someone driving an old truck or car that looks like it uses oil and make a donation.

Unless there's something bad wrong with your bike, it's not worth carrying the stuff.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            I have vast amounts of oil stored on shelves in strategic locations all over the world. Diesel trucks and tractors are everywhere, and any place that sells fuel will have oil that's well-suited to a GS.

All I have to do is buy a bottle on the rare occasion I need a top-up. If I don't want to take the rest with me and risk spillage, I look for someone driving an old truck or car that looks like it uses oil and make a donation.

Unless there's something bad wrong with your bike, it's not worth carrying the stuff.
            Here I only find mineral diesel only oil in yuge containers. And synthetic 10w40 for bikes.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

I have had (since 1994 anyway) hard luggage, so "where" to carry it is only a question of the left or right bag, and front or back of the bag.
              And no question of what container, just the plastic jug with screw top cap.

One thing I will say, is once open the cap, when putting cap back on, not only put it on tight, but also squeeze the bottle in a little bit before tighten the cap, so if/when the air inside were to heat up, the bottle has some room to expand without building up any pressure to cause it to leak.
              And dont tighten so tight that it deforms the threads.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

In the late 80s an oil company in the UK sold oil in oddly-shaped bottles, more like a trapezoid than a bottle.
                I found the 1L bottle fitted perfectly into the space formed by the rear luggage bracket, and that bottle's remained there ever since. I've replaced the bungee at least once, but the bottle is totally unaffected by vibration, weathering, etc.
                I think it was/is a bottle of Total 15w40 diesel oil, but can't be sure at the moment.
                Odd thing is, even when the bike was using a bit of oil, I never had to breach that bottle.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I've used these for both petrol & oil at different times... https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove...l-bottles.html
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X