Teflon Tape on Oil Drain Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teflon Tape on Oil Drain Plug

I had "one of those Saturdays" yesterday.

Changed the oil in the 1100 GL, drained, removed the old filter, new filter, all was going well until installing the drain plug. Turn, turn, turn, start to snug up, turn, turn, turn, yep, it is striped. Went down to NAPA and got a "single over" 14mm plug, it is a little longer but should work I hope. Installed it and got it snagged up, filled 'er up with oil and all was well, or so I thought. This morning there was a pretty good little puddle of oil under the bike. I was able to snug the plug up some but still have a little drip. What I want to know, is it ok to use Teflon Tape on an oil drain plug.

arghhhhhhh

The oversized plug probably didn't go in perfectly straight, The place where you bought the oversized plug should also sell a sealing washer. It is rubber with a metal outside to prevent it from squishing out. For a couple bucks each, I always keep a spare on hand.

Comment

I use teflon tape on my drain plug's,it work's,and I don't over tighten them.

Comment

The drain bolt should be torqued to around 8-9 ft/lb unless your manual says otherwise.
        If your new bolt isn't close to that because you're afraid to strip the case worse, I'd repair it properly with a heli-coil or similar. Peace of mind.
        You don't want to lose that bolt on a ride or worry about it all the time. Don't trust teflon tape to repair damaged threads or any other quick fix.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I vote for fixing it right also. This due to the two handfuls of very ill handeling bike I had after my teflon taped plug fell out at 70 on the freeway. 8O 8O You don't really want to go there! Bill

Comment

Yep!fix it the correct way.
            I have allway's used teflon tape on my drain plug's with no prob's,but I certainly would not recomend it to fix a stripped thread!

Comment

Took the wonderful advice that is alwaysprovided by the folks on this site. Pulled the pan and put in a helicoil repair. After 2 trips to Tyler and one to San Angelo, we are all back together, good fit on the drain plug and not a drip of oil anywhere.

The people on this forum are GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by UTgws
                Took the wonderful advice that is alwaysprovided by the folks on this site. Pulled the pan and put in a helicoil repair. After 2 trips to Tyler and one to San Angelo, we are all back together, good fit on the drain plug and not a drip of oil anywhere.

The people on this forum are GREAT!
                We thank you! Doing the job right is always the best way.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill + Karen
                  I vote for fixing it right also. This due to the two handfuls of very ill handeling bike I had after my teflon taped plug fell out at 70 on the freeway. 8O 8O You don't really want to go there! Bill
                  You too eh?
                  Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                  2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Stripped my drain plug a few months ago. I took of the sump plate, took it to a machine shop and had it tapped for a 16mm plug.

Then I bought a GS 1000 sump plate on Ebay for a buck (+shipping)

Comment

Working...
                    X