Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak

So I've been experiencing an oil leak on the GS850 which I originally thought was the seal on the starter, but now it appears to be from directly under the cam chain tensioner at the base of the engine. It is leaking badly enough that it is throwing oil on my back tire which sucks big time.

I hope I don't have to strip the motor again, so I am going for the idea that the engine bolts need to be retorqued. Hopefully, that will do it for me. So on that assumption, I believe the torque settings are 27lbs and like 10 for the small bolts. Can anyone confirm for me?

Thanks.

Those head bolt torque settings are what my '79 1000 calls for.
    Be sure to crack them loose just a little first and then re-torque from the center-out in a criss-cross pattern. The outer small bolts get torqued last.
    Vance and Hines has told me you can cheat a little and torque them all a couple of pounds tighter, but that's up to you.
    Torque on a stone cold motor, overnight is better.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Are you sure it's not the tensioner itself leaking?

Comment

Fixing tensioner leaks:

It's pretty easy!

And while you're in there:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X