terrible flat spot at 2500-3000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
    did you remove the rubber plugs that go over the pilot jets? Some members have said they removed them and the bike idled badly. (too easy to draw fuel)
    nope, left 'em in, made sure they were nice and soft too

My thought on too little air would be the throttle plate(s) closed too much. I know you said you synched them, but any chance you did this wrong? It only takes one carb to cause a bad idle.
    I've been synching 'em everytime I take the carbs apart, I'm gonna do it again though, just to make absolutely sure.

Also, is the ignition timing correct? Is it advancing correctly too?
    well it's an electronic ignition, I imagine it's alright

Are the valve clearances correct?
    yes, performed the valve clearance when I put the top end back together

I'll put in the old plugs, change the mixture adjustment to 2 turns out and resynch, I'll let you know how it goes, thx again for all the help!

take 'er easy

Marcus

Comment

OK. Good luck and we'll see what the 1/3 throttle test says about the jet needle position.
      PS: I always put a gun on the ignition to be sure the timing is correct and advancing. Electronic or otherwise.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

a gun, huh, I threw mine away when I got rid of the bike that had points, I knew I shoulda kept it, dayum!

terrible weather, haven't had any time to get to the bike, I'll let you know as soon as I do.

thx again Keith, it's people like you who make this the great resource that it is.

take care

Marcus

Comment

OK many things have gone on since my last post, ages ago I know but I've been working hard on this sucker.

replaced my manifolds, they were actually in bad shape.

went back to the proper plugs: D8EA or whatever the heck.

got myself a carb rebuild kit and changed the seats and float valves.

synched, synched and resynched.

results:

bike is running better thought it still bogs at about 2500-3000 rpm and still wont hold an idle below 1500 also there's a little cracking noise/backfire when I hit about 4500. It still seems like it's running hot as well.

here's what I'm gonna do:

I bought some new mikuni jets 137.5 - gonna install those suckers

I'm gonna check my plugs before I put 'em in though, I think I'm running lean but I haven't checked 'em yet.

I'm getting a new exhaust can, mine's all dented so I can't pull the innards to put some packing in, it is empty presently.

I've also ordered a set of K&Ns they should arrive pretty soon.

I'll let you know what the plugs look like and whatnot.

Comment

OK, I checked my plugs and they're pretty sooty

I changed my pipe to a Vance & Hines sounds much better than it did (the exhaust tone) seems a little smoother

I replaced my mixture screws, backed 'em out to 3 turns

I haven't put in the 137.5 mikuni jets yet, I'm not sure if it's a good idea because the plugs are showing a rich condition. ideas?

one other problem I've neglected to mention is that my idle speed does increase drastically as my engine warms, I've read in Keith Krause's other posts that this is indicitive of a air leak, I've already changed my intake manifolds, they're the kind with a clamp on either side, no o-rings, is there some other place that air could be leaking in? Maybe through the choke mechanism or something?

any help advice is most welcome

thx.

M.

Comment

Jeez. :? Sooty plugs, rpm's increase with engine heat, won't hold an idle under 1,500 rpm's...could be so many things.
              The rpm's increasing with engine heat is the classic intake leak. I've seen some people do strange carb synchs and throttle cable routing that can cause high rpm's/hanging, but if your bike will start cold at 1,500 rpm's (which is already too high), and then the rpm's rise to say 2,000+ "all by themselves" with the only change being engine temp, then you've got an intake leak somewhere. This will have to be fixed before trying anything else. You didn't mention this before. This would be a reason why your bike won't idle under 1,500 rpm's too.
              Sooty plugs could be simple needle/main jet problems, as long as you know the timing/spark is good and filters are good. But I'm still not convinced about these 750 carbs working well on this 1100 motor. You said before these carbs ran good on the better flowing 1100 motor. Now you have them on this motor, which should not flow like before. That means the carbs would have to be jetted leaner. I also still wonder about any jetting differences between the 750 and 1100, such as primary air jet, pilot air jet, needle jet, float levels, etc, that you haven't addressed. I feel there's more than just the typical main jet/jet needle position, pilot jet changes needed here.
              Soooo, after the intake leak is fixed...
              I do know I would first look up the carb spec's for the 750 and 1100 carbs. I'd note any differences, how these differences would effect this motor, and also if changes can be made. If there's really no significant differences, then I'd do a complete cleaning/o-ring check, float level check, bench synch, check timing, valves, then set the mixture screws and vacuum synch.
              Then I'd test at 1/3 throttle position and see what the performance/plug reads say to do. After the needle's good, I'd test at full throttle for the main jet and get that right. Then I'd test at mimimal throttle position/cruising and get the pilot circuit right.
              As I've said in other posts, get the basic maintenance things done first. Then you can focus on the jetting. In your case though, there's the 750/1100 carb questions that need to be checked out first.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Keith \m/

OK, I'll take a look at the specs for both model's carbs and see if there're any differences and get back to you.

What do you think about upping my main jet size? The stock jets were 112.5 I've got K&Ns and a Vance and Hines 4-1, should I put in the Mikuni 137.5 mains? I'm presently running dynajet 130s.

rockitgetiton!

Marcus

Comment

You need to find the intake leak before anything else. Performance and plug reads will be effected.
                  As for main ideas, you said the plugs were sooty at last check, but you don't say at what throttle position, which matters greatly. Only after a full throttle run and chop test of the plugs and performance noted, could I make a suggestion. Your plugs could be sooty from the jet needle. You still have to fix the intake leak too.
                  By the way, DJ and Mikuni size their jets differently. Roughly, a 130 DJ main is about the same as a 122.5 Mikuni main. So going up to a 137.5 main is an increase of 3 full sizes (15).
                  If stock is 112.5, then I'd guess about 5 full sizes up (137.5) would get you close, maybe right. If you have sooty plugs, I doubt it's because of 122.5 mains. That's only an increase of 2 full sizes, not enough for K&N's and a VH pipe. Your sooty plugs are most likely the jet needle position. Test the jet needle at 1/3 throttle position. As with the main, do what performance/plugs say to do.

Comment

thx Keith,

I recieved my K&Ns today, put 'em on and rode around a bit, I didn't do the various throttle position checks quite yet, I'm trying to suss out a good place to do it, it's in the works, but I pulled my plugs and they're all the same color for the first time, a little black around the edges but tan in the center and all consistent from cylinder to cylinder so I think the emgos had quite a bit to do with my problems.

I pulled my carbs off, changed the mains and put 'em back on, making sure they're nicely seated in the manifolds and the clamps are nice and tight, the manifolds are new and there's no cracking inside or out, I don't know where else there could be any air leaks, the mixture screws are new with new springs, o-rings and washers, I'm starting to think It's a synch problem not an air leak problem.

I use the motion pro mercury synchronizer but I always get air bubbles in the mercury, is there a way to avoid this? Would this lead to an improper synch? It seems to me that it would.

If the plugs are all the same color it seems to me that it rules out an air leak but could still mean the carbs are out of synch, would this be a correct assumption?

I'm certainly going to check my plugs from the various throttle positions real soon, it seems to me that it's one of those things you almost have to set a day aside for but I certainly agree with you that it's crucial in determining the necessary adjustments for the various circuits, I'll let you know the verdicts once I manage to get it done.

thx again Keith

Comment

If you take awhile to synch with mercury, you'll get condensation in the mercury. With the bike running, all you can do is quickly pull off the hose at the manifold/adapter tube and quickly re-install it. This usually helps and might take a few tries. If you can't get it all out and there are gaps, sometimes you can see where the levels would be without the gaps. Best thing is to get good at synching and not let the bike get too hot in the first place. As soon as you turn it off to cool, on re-start the condensation mixes in.
                      The way you describe the rpm gain, it does sound like an intake leak, but bad carb synchs can do similar things to rpm's. If you can't find an intake leak, best way to know is to synch the carbs and be sure they're right. Check the throttle plates for smooth operation. If the rpm's still rise as before, you know you have an intake leak.

Comment

First, I have no knowledge of the specific carburetor in question but have rejetted the gsxr 750 -90 carbs fitted on my slightly tuned gs1100. Changing from the stock 34 mm carburetors to the 38 mm (European) gsxr carburetors resulted in a large power increase. Upon using gs1150 rubbers and KN dual pod filters (2 carbs fitted to 1 filter) these carbs is an easy upgrade that I recommend.

A carburetor related problem on the GS engines in the range 1000-4000 rpm region is most likely not related to improper main jet selection. More likely your problem is related to improper pilot jet size, wrong needle position or improper needle-needle jet combination. From the description of symptoms, especially upon regarding the idle problem, I would recommend try using a smaller pilot jet.

Best regards Kristian

Comment

Working...
                        X