82 GS850 running on two cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850 running on two cylinders

Lost cylinders 1&4 while on vacation in Colorado a week and a half ago, bike came home in a U-Haul truck. :x

Dealer in Durango, Colorado (Fun Center Cycles) was very accommodating, taking the bike in on Friday afternoon. Worked on it for a couple of hours, then continued Saturday morning. For all the time they spent on it, only charged us for two hours.

Determined that it is NOT the plugs or wires. It is NOT the coil. Suspicions are that it might be the pick-up on the end of the crank or the amplifier box by the battery. Any suggestions on troubleshooting these two items?
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Wow, this post has been here 2 1/2 days and has been viewed by 38 people, but NO repies.

With all the "wizards" on this board, I was hoping somebody might have a suggestion or two. I am busy right now changing the driveshaft on my Voyager, but will soon be turning my attention to the 850 and was hoping for some clues on where to start.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

See this topic for starters:

(search forums on "troubleshoot" and " ignition")

The easiest way with electronics if static tests are OK is to substitute suspect components - as long as you're sure something's not going to blow the replacement.

Another thing to check is moisture around the ignitor. That puts two of my cylinders out of action (under load) after an over-enthusiastic wash. Spray with WD40 or similar.

Comment

Clymer Manual Has A Test

Clymer manual has a test for the igniter. You can do it with a voltmeter or a regular flashlight battery. I will send you a copy if you request.

Comment

First get a wiring diagram, a broken wire is a possibility do you have voltage at the coil? is there spark or not on 1 & 4? i assume that there is not, but i have to ask!
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
          X