Leak going away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leak going away?

I changed the oil in the 750 yesterday. It was black and nasty. Smelled like it had gas in it. I used Penzoil 20W-50 and the leak up front is getting smaller.

Seemed to get better and better all day. I wonder if it'll go away completely!

Just kidding. I'll change the gaskets anyway,...

I had a bike with a really bad oil leak. One day while riding I noticed the leak getting less and less until finally it went away completely. A few minutes later the engine also went away completely!!!!!

Funny how that stuff works.

Comment

Some oil leaks will leak less on longer rides because the metal expands and squeezes the gasket just a little more. Chances are you'll find the same leak weeping much more on colder days, especially if the rides are just 20 miles or so.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

you will get different expansion from rubber seals from different brands of oil.

or to put it a different way, some brands of oil cause seals to expand more than others.
        so it is possible for a leak to lessen and even stop when the brand of oil used is changed.
        it also works the other way, change oil brands and a leak can get worse, or start.
        changing a car with a relatively high amount of miles on it from dino to synthetic is just asking for leaks as synthetics (especially Mobil one) will cause the seals to shrink.
        now there are variables that effect this and not all engines will react to the change the same.

Comment

Working...
        X