HELP! Particles in engine / head gasket troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my thinking here...
    air box pressure is lower than the outside air pressure so... there would be a higher pressure in the crankcase hence it would go from the breather to the air box, they put baffles in the breather housing and 2 screens to keep the oil out of the air filter housing and 2 drain back holes in it also. IMO. Dale
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

It is necessary to vent the crankase because you do have a little bit of pressure caused by blowby. you also have all of those metal objects (like pistons) flying around in there creating air pressure. The vent system used on most bikes is the road draft system. This was used in cars before 1963 and used a tube that pointed rearward. Gases were drawn out of the engine as you drove. The Suzukis use a similar method. Modern cars and even small lawnmowers today use a PCV valve, a Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve to draw gases into the engine where they are burned. This is great for the environment but not always so great for getting the best mixture, it must be compensated for accordingly.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Okay, the problem seems to be fixed now.

Problem one: Malfunctioning torque wrench caused me to overtighten the head cover bolts, destroying the seal. There was some of the smoke.

Problem two: I had managed to leak a fair amount of oil all over the engine. When the engine heated up, the stuff started burning like crazy, producing tons of smoke.

I bought a new torque wrench, which also didn't work right (a setting of fifteen foot pounds tightened to around sixty or so), so I just estimated and snugged the bolts down without a torque wrench as evenly as I could and then cleaned up the oil. Everything worked fine, no burning smell, no smoke.

It scared the heck out of me when it happened, though.

Comment

Glad to see it worked out. I had a oil smell on my 650 for a few days after I did the valve adjustment, had me looking at the valve cover during redlights a bit.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
          X