Bike bogging bad after replacing boots and intake gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike bogging bad after replacing boots and intake gaskets

I just finished reasembling a 82 GS850 that I purchased from the PO disasembled. I replaced the front carb boots and intake manafold gaskets. As the PO suspected a vacum leak. I cleaned the carbs with carb cleaner spray and yamaha carb cleaner but did not dip them or pull them off the racks or replace any o rings. The bike starts up and idles but when you put it in gear it boggs down and if I try and go around the block it bogs down in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. I made sure the boots were tight and did a water mist test. The mist test for a vacum leak and did not seem to change the way the bike ran. Once the bike warms up and you rev it the idle rises and does not come back down. I tried the idle adjuster when it revs high and the adjuster does not change the revs at all and I have to kill the bike and restart it. I looked at the plugs and #4 seems lean compared to 1,2, & 3. I am guessing I need to go back and work on the carbs some more any advice on what to look for in the carbs.

did you check the choke? sounds like the choke is on...that would explain when you throttle it bogs down...too much gas.....do a carb/cleaner spray test on your boots instead of water mist.....my guess if the choke is adjusted correctly and it still does this then you need to adjust the carbs....somebody else will have to help you with that....

Comment

I also did a wd40 test on the carbs - no change in idle speed. Will check the choke some more to make sure it is not getting hung, but I did mess with it on the thumb adjuster no change and will check the cable on the carb end to make sure it is not getting hung up.

Comment

Check to see that the air cleaner/filter is installed correctly and that there are no air leaks at the side covers of the air box (there's a seal under each cover that deteriorates) my 82 gs850 HATES air leaks and my # 1 cylinder was lean because the LH cover did not seal.
        there maybe other reasons throttle cable, jetting ect...
        just my .02 (without inflation)
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I did another carb cleaner and mist test on the intake boots and am pretty confident that the new boots and intake gaskets are good - no vacum leak there. Also checked the choke and it does not apper to be hung up.

The side gaskets for the air boxes are shot but I dont think that is the current issue (I think it is excess fuel) because I pulled the air filter (PO purchased a new air filter and never put the bike back togeather so the filter is new) and reved the bike and the idle comes back down with the air filter out of the bike. When I put the air filter back on and rev it up the idle wont drop back down. I have to pull the air filter and give it another rev to get the idle to drop back down to 1,100 RPM

Comment

It could be that the PO may have had the carb's tuned, if so any adjusment's done could have compensated for any vacumn leak's, therefore the fuel/air mixture could now be off.
            Just a thought!

Comment

I think it is time to get midieval with these carbs so I ordered up the O-ring set from Robert. Since all of the other o rings on this bike have been shot I figued I'll keep going with the o ring theme. I have already replaced the tach, cam chain adjuster, petcock, and intake manifold O - rings (all leaking) so why not the carbs. I'll also give the carbs a little Yamaha carb cleaner bath. I'll keep everyone posted and am still open to suggestions.

Comment

boy gspaul sounds very logicall...airbox problems causes bogging down...believe me i found that out this summer, but an airbox leak didn't caused the engine to bog down and quit...sounds like your carbs are mixing wrong...especially if your intake boots showed no leak...

Comment

How 'bout a carb synch? That seems pretty necessary here too.

Comment

ok I have the carbs completely taken apart - almost. Can someone tell me the best way to get at the air screw. There is a cap with a really small hole on top. You can maybe get a paper clip in there but it does not seem to have enought strenght to pry the cap off? The O rings seem pretty worn out. two of the needle valve seats came out real easy and two were in real good so I am hoping that all new O - rings will make a difference.

Comment

i noticed i incorrectly stated something...airbox leak did lead to engine bogging downjavascript:emoticon(':roll:')

Comment

OK - After rebuilding the carbs and spending forever getting those $%^$ mixture screw caps off and trying it again it only got worse. So I set the bike on the center stand did the myst test and then I put my hand behind the tail pipes and noticed that the left pipe was not putting out hot air like the right pipe. So I pulled the plugs and when I was pulling the plugs I notices that the first plug wire had a number 2 on it. Man the PO told me he had put new plugs in the bike and I never bothered to check the wires he must have acidently switched them. Lucky for me cuz if he hadn't he wouldn't have sold me the bike so cheap. Anyway the bike is running great now!!! Man just goes to show you check the basics first.

Comment

Working...
                        X